Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Angelina Jolie Character

EDIT: Most recent images -
angiewip04.jpg

angiewipclose03.jpg

Hey all,

I've been following threads in this forum for a while and am constantly impressed by the level of work that is presented here. I was hoping to get some feedback on a model I've been working on recently.

It is (supposed to be) Angelina Jolie.

There are a lot of very talented artists on this forum and I would greatly appreciate any comments/critiques you could give.

Without further Adieuuuuuuuu:
angieturn.png

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    make her hips wider. also, her legs soom too long in cmparioson to her armks
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, im not a character artist but i think you have done so well on the face! I can really tell it's her!
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ RJ Thanks I'll adjust the legs. She does have a very thin hipline, though, not a lot of "junk in the trunk" so to speak

@ SaferDan Thanks for the compliment man the head has been tricky and is still a work in progress but I'm glad you see a resemblance
  • Rezghenth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've fallen into the trap of following the reference imagery too closely. Why are her feet flopping forward and down like that?

Reference images of humans are often drawn in perspective, and as such the feet appear to be pointing down. Flatten them out and they'll look right.
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rez Good spot - I was going to put her in heels, I'll put some sort of geometry in there to indicate where the shoes will be.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not too sure on the face yet, may be too early to tell, may be the lack of hair, may just be a little off. You certainly have the lips correct but of course that is what everyone will focus on. My biggest crit would be on her stomach, it has a weird sinking look to it and just kinda flab's it's way to the center. The crevices on the side of her stomach seem too deep. I agree with the foot thing and I suppose it might work out with some heels but I think it's often better to model and then pose once you finish. Keep it up, you're well on the way :D
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    so far so good! Make the hips wider :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You are jumping on the highpoly sculpting too early. Spend some time working on a nice subdivision mesh with simple polygons.

I am not saying that sculpting is not the way to go - it's just that in this case I can tell that you are falling into some of the many traps that digital sculpting can cause (the main one I see all the time is the "stretchy skin" problem, caused by the smoothing brush averaging shapes way too much).
    Since you have a sculpted frame, use that to snap a retopo easily, then deform that until it looks right. It's way too early for details at the moment.

She sure lost weight since then, but still, her body structure has not changed :
    http://www.junglefitnessoc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/angelina-jolie-lara-croft-tomb-raider.jpg

Good luck, thats a tricky subject. It's really not there yet, so all you have to do is to avoid burning steps!
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey again,
    So I've been working on the suggestions I got for the past couple of weeks and would like some feedback again. All the critiques I got last time were great so more of the same would be appreciated. Pior, I didn't have a chance to start it over, but I did try to take a step back and focus on my larger forms (which in retrospect were awful) so let me know what you think.

Body -
    angiewipies02.jpg

Face -
    angiewipiesclose.jpg
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the face is really getting there, looks really good. I think you need to soften her jawline a bit more though, it looks a bit too masculine and the hip bone looks to sharp... but good progress, looking forward to see how you develop her!
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure whether you are going for a fully realistic sculpt or an idealistic sculpt of Angeline Jolie. In case you are going for the idealistic sculpt, you are doing an amazing job. The hips might be a tad high, but the voluptuousness. Oh the voluptuousness. :)

Also, it might be just me, but her abdomen don't feel like Angelina Jolie abdomen. (in case you are going for a 1 on 1 sculpt)
    http://www.thedietandfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/angelina.jpg

The shoulders look a bit off as well. I think you simply over pronounced them.
    http://actressespictures.com/upload/2159-3215/angelina-jolie-back-tattoos.jpg

As for her face. Excellent job. The only thing I want to point out is those cheeks. I might be wrong with this, and please correct me if I am, but they seem too pronounced.

http://wallpapersall.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Angelina-Jolie-face.jpg
    In this image, might be because it's an older one, you can see the difference with your sculpt.

Continue the way you're at it, I'm going to keep track of this one. Looking forward to your next update!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    I'm with PHart on the hips subject, bring them down a little bit, face- great job I'm loving the detail and accuracy on the lips. If u want some naked pics of her there is a movie where she makes out with this other chick lol might wanna take a look ;)
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good suggestions everyone,
    @ PHArt - You are right about all of those things, the face closeup is especially helpful (I have been using a picture just like that but yours is much higher resolution)

@Turista - lol the one great thing about modelling a beautiful actress is there are plenty of excuses to look up "reference"

I'm working on this stuff right now, hopefully will have an update later today/early tomorrow morning.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    amazing job on the face sir
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lmao exactly my friend and post up some wireframes plz
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I worked on this some this weekend, I'm not totally happy with this for a few reasons but thought it would be good to get some feedback now since I probably won't get much chance to work on it the next couple of days. Dress is very much a work in progress but feel free to critique it all you want.

angiewip03.jpg

Made a few changes to the face -
    angiewipclose02.jpg

Feel like she kind of has an underbite now but I might just be dreaming that up.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm go back to the old face u had.. looks weird, what did u change?
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Turista - yeah, looking at it now after some sleep it seems like i went a few steps back with that, I think the solution may lie somewhere between this one and the old one.

I changed everything around a little, but mainly lowered the cheekbones from the last one where they were too high and pronounced, I think the issue now is they need to come back out a little more
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea that might be it and is that last pic in orthographic? her head looks a bit misshaped :p i honestly think the last one was better, cheeks and all
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be in ortho, I usually do shots in perspective but it was late and I wanted to go to bed so I may not have been paying attention, I'll look into it tonight.
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates, added eyelashes and hair - these are both still WIP but blocking them in has helped me to see if things are on the right track -
    angiewipclose03.jpg

Also made some progress on the dress -
    angiewip04.jpg

As always comments/crits welcome