Here is my take on the ever so popular Mine Concept. I Crave Critz

environment06.jpg
environment05.jpg
environment04.jpg
environment01.jpg
breakdown03.jpg
The Concept
yoyo2324.jpg

Special thanks to the current threads concerning this concept they where all of great use when getting inspired for this piece.

Replies

• uneditablepoly
    Not too bad. The first thing I see that I'm not sure about is the color of the tree. I have trouble seeing it as a tree. When I look at it I almost see a giant carrot. Maybe bring the color more towards brown and away from orange.

Also, the grass bits scattered about feel a little out of place because they differ so much in value from the flat grass. Not only that, but they're almost black and any details that might be there are lost.

The untextured render looks pretty good modeling-wise. Overall, I think it's the textures and colors that need work. In addition to what I said, it seems like a lot of the textures are suffering from a bit of blurriness / indistinctness. Mainly on the rocks and especially on the right side hill where rocks, dirt and grass all blend together. It just feels like they were soft-brushed in. Try to get some definition on those parts and I think you'll be well on your way.

I really gotta take a whack at that concept. Everyone seems to be doing it, haha. Keep it up!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    One of the things you can do to help sharpen up those textures is to run your diffuse through a normal generator like the xnormal filters in photoshop. Then take that normal and run it through again to get a cavity map. And set that cavity map to an overlay.

Or maybe an unsharp mask.

I did a little animated GIF for a friend yesterday on hand painted textures. I am not great at them. But you can see what I mean with the cavity information. ;)

Screen_41.gif

and for the record... I agree that it looks like a carrot :P
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start dude. Are you planning on staying true to the concept or will you put your own spin on the concept art.
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have been more specific when i first posted. I will be fixing that Carrot for sure.

{uneditablepoly}
    I am having trouble with the terrain editor in UDK i used my grass static mesh as a terrain element that i then painted on. but for some reason they do not retain lighting information. that is why the majority of them are all dark the lighter ones on the hill and around it i hand placed.

Also on a texturing note the rocks are 4 different static meshes with the same material applied to them all i really want to work on that material especially the diffuse.

{jeremiah_bigley}
    I will definitely have to try the cavity map approach. my

{sketch81}
    I am taking my own liberties here on the concept because i have seen a few people do the same environment and i want mine to be different.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    looks good. so far that tree needs some life tho.