Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Douglas DC-5

Hello everyone

This is the first time I publish my work on Polycount and I’m very honoured to be among all of you.

I’m working on probably one of the least know DC airliner series, the Douglas DC-5.

Some history
The Douglas DC-5 was a 16-22 seat, twin-propeller aircraft intended for shorter routes than the DC-3 or DC-4. However, by the time it entered commercial service in 1940, many airlines were canceling orders; consequently, only five civilian DC-5s were ever built. With the Douglas Aircraft Company already converting to war production, the DC-5 was soon overtaken by events, although a limited number of military variants were produced.

This is also the first time I use Max, so please be a bit gentle with the critics.
The model is intended for an adventure iPad game.

4dc5.jpg

VPGRAB01.jpg

VPGRAB02.jpg

Please post your comments and critics.

Mr. Smith

Replies

• BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    welcome! Could you post some wire-frames please?

- BoBo
  • Mr. Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I will post some wireframe shots tomorrow.

Mr. Smith
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Please, no HUGE bmp, just use jpg's at a more doable resolution. My internet is very slow and I'd like to see it, yet it barely loads here.
  • Mr. Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

@Xoliul: I've resized the original images, so I hope they load faster now.

Here are some wireframe shots, to get a better look on how I did things.

Douglas-dc5_persp_user_0f_wire.jpg

Douglas-dc5_persp_user_1f_wire.jpg

Please post your comments and critics.

Mr. Smith
  • Mr. Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a long time since the previous update, but here it is.
    I've added a basic landing gear, a door and some textures for the propellers.

Be sure to post your comments and critics.

VPGRAB03.jpg

VPGRAB04.jpg

Mr. Smith
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    i think it needs some more segments on the vingtips and guide wing to smooth it up. Keep at it!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd really look into connecting the wings and body, it really makes things look simple and lowpoly if you just intersect.
  • Mr. Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it! :)

@Samfisher84 I will look right into it and post an update as soon as possible.

@Xoliul I admit it looks a bit simple, but I'm new to Max so I haven't discovered all the tools yet. Can you give me some directions how I can best do this?

Mr. Smith
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I did it for my Curtiss Commando, I just made sure the segments/edges lined up nicely or at least acceptably, and then used the cut tool, deleted some faces and started using target weld. There's some work involved smoothing the transition out afterwards. If you want I can find a wireframe shot of the wings of my Commando?

Also looking at it again, i think the profile of your wings is not very aerodynamic yet, the back part looks way too fat. Make sure you have this sort of profile:
    rcinterest2htm_txt_rcinte2.gif
  • Mr. Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for helping me out with this. :)

I will start with making the wing some more aerodynamic and then connecting it to plane.

I think it would be really helpful if I can compare it with your wireframe shots. :thumbup:

Mr. Smith
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go man :

curtisswires.jpg
  • Mr. Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul Thanks for the image man!

Does anyone know how I can clean up this geometry? I think it can save a ton of polygons. :)

VPGRAB03_wire.jpg

Mr. Smith
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using less sides on your cylinders when you boolean would be a good starter, because the fuselage has so many less sides than the windows, you should try and be consistent according to size etc. Also you could make quads between the windows as the verts should be in line, looks like you used normal boolean instead of pro boolean?
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I cut a hole, I normally make a square using the cut tool, then cut a cross through it . ie top to bottom and left to right and then I cut two more lines from top left to bottom right and top right to bottom left.
    I then chamfer the central vertex that has all of these lines attached, then inset a small amount, negative extrude a little bit then more - then delete that polygon.
    Not sure if I have explained it very well though :/
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I would also say you need to run a few more edgeloops along the fuselage to give those holes somewhere to run off to.
    I think you need to take stock of what you want your polycount to be. if you look at the amount of segments on Xoulil's fuselage, and compare it to yours, you notice what I'm talking about.

At the level of detail you have for the rest of the plane, I would say that those portholes could be around 8-12 segments, and not somewhere in 40's
    Just nail down your spec (Next gen? Mobile game?) so that you don't have discrepancies in the overall detail of your model.

good work though
  • Mr. Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Bonebrew22 I forgot to mention it in the first post, but the plane is intended for an iPad game. I will update the first post right away.
    And thanks for the positive critic. :)

I've just deleted all the faces with the holes from the windows and the door in it and created new fresh ones.
    I think I will use a bit from every method posted, create some extra edge loops for the edges to run of to, use the pro boolean tool and a cylinder with less sides.

I'm again one step further in my project. :thumbup:

Mr. Smith