Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman...

I wanted to reinterpret G-Man from the Half-Life universe. Here is the initial rough out.

I decided against using the game models as reference, they're too stylized, so I searched for awhile and have chosen a loose interpretation of Clint Eastwood instead. Their bone structure is similar and I prefer that he looks quite a bit older. I will also be ditching the flat top. These are a lot of significant changes, which I suspect some people aren't going to agree with.

Anyway, just wanted to start a WIP thread, critiques and comments welcome.

timdeneau.gman.sculpt.20110319.png

gman.jpg

eastwood.jpg

Replies

• Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    You're off to a good start I think, but try to exaggerate the cheekbones a little more?
    Besides that, I like it! Especially the nose which looks like it's been broken or something.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Sculpt looks solid so far, definitely seein the eastwood influence. Dunno if this matters to you, but I'd recommend trying to keep the core feel of the character intact a little more. The G-Man had those sunken cheeks and pale skin to give him a sort of sick, otherworldly feel. Physically he was very weak, but he still managed to feel like a very dangerous character, possibly the most powerful in the game. He's not a man of action, more of a puppetmaster and observer, like jigsaw from the SAW movies, or the Smoking Man from x-files. Your current bust has a much more aggressive, tough feel to it. You might want to consider making him a bit more sickly/creepy, a little less human, if you want people to really see the "g-man" in your re-imagining of him.

My 2 cents anyhow, looks great so far and I'm sure it'll turn out cool in the end regardless.
  • AustinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the overall shape could be better to feel more like gman. Gman's jaw is much more square. notice also the eyelids and eye are higher and more visible. Another thing I noticed is that your eyes are sitting a little too high on your sculpts face. you could fix this by raising his forehead which is also higher on the gman even though his hair adds to it in your pictures.

I agree with the other guys post as well, he needs to look more sickly, not old.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, that's great input.

I haven't made corrections to the face yet, I'll be working on it next. I agree that he should look more sickly instead of aggressive. It's difficult striking a balance, this is new territory for me so it's a lot of trial and error. I don't want to risk losing the identity of the character by changing too much.

This is the blockout for the environment. This is the literal Black Mesa, with the facility buried underneath, blowing to shit during the final hours of the resonance cascade. I don't know if the scale is being conveyed properly, those fires are supposed to be enormous. Maybe some props like radio towers will help give a sense of scale. This is built at 1:1 scale, so the mesa is 30 km away and anything that is a man-made object is too small to render.

Critiques or comments are much appreciated.

timdeneau.gman.render.20110322.jpg

pewpewpew.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the head definitely needs to be longer, i like the direction and its cool to see a different take on the character but right now it looks like youre doing some dude in a suit, anyways - keep going :)
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    That looks great dude, and he'll probably start looking alot more like the gman once you get his hair in there to lengthen out his head shape
    Also, for some reason your scene composition reminded me of the promotional art for Magicka: Vietnam :)
    http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/03/04/magicka-vietnam-expansion-announced.htm
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. I can see some resemblance to that promo shot, maybe because they're equally mediocre hehe.

I got a little distracted with the environment and composition. I'm more satisfied with this direction, so now I'll hop back onto character duties. Basemesh is for blocking only.

This is so sloppy and rough draft, probably not even worth posting this, but I wanted to update more frequently.

timdeneau.gman.render.20110325.jpg