Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Tatsunoko VS Capcom, JUN THE SWAN, Etotheric

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
I'm going for a black version of Jun the Swan.

Progress!
000_progress.jpg

jun_ref.jpg

I'm working on a concept for her. I'm thinking I'll go for more of a Street Fighter 4 style.

Replies

• EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some small thumbnail sketches. There are aspects of each I'm partial to. I'm curious if anyone has preferences. I was thinking of mixing parts of each. I need to make a decision and put together a large, detailed color concept.
    001_concept_thumbs.jpg
    Thanks!
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with mixing them but 3 is probably the most badass.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Ah sweet I'm making Ken :) Think I like 3 the most! I would refine the torso a bit more like you have in 1+2.
    Good start :)
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I especially like how you elongated the beak on her helmet in #3, you should definitely keep that aspect of the design. cool.
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    I'm really digging 3.

I would probably take the legs of 2, and put it on 3 (as I feel the drapery there will be unnecessary and a waste of polys that you could use on the cape). I alos like the slanted belt of 1 (or even the cross belts of 2) as well. I feel like to make it a little less busy the simple gloves of concept 1 could really make a nice area of rest on the model, or even make the gloves taper at the end. I also really like the glowy kneepads and headgear you got going. REALLY looking forward to this epic character in 3D.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, that's all really helpful.
    MattQ86- cool, thanks
    Massbot- thank you, I totally agree. the torso on 3 is pretty meh
    AKAperly- thanks man, I had some thoughts about making Jun the Raven and I think it's heading that way in the end.
    Azuryon- thanks for the input. I'm thinking I'll mix those pieces in. I think the extra feathers on the legs would start getting really busy as well. I'm thinking rather than a glove on the left arm doing a shoulder piece and maybe an elbow piece.
  • haZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    3! I'm actually really digging the feathery look. Maybe some variation of the length could help prevent it looking too busy or "sprinkled" on...

Excited to see where this goes.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    I think the 3rd design has the most interesting overall look, but I prefer the pants and tall boots from 1 or 2. Maybe go with a bit of a mix of 2 and 3?
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll add some color tomorrow and probably a quick face but I'll stick to capcom's face design most likely.
    002concept_large.jpg
    Think I got all the changes in there! I'm debating adding knee guards or not. If anyone has more input please feel free. I may change up the belts some more. I need to look at some reference.
    Thanks!

haZe-thank you! I think that one got all the support.
    Jigsaw-thanks, I mixed in the elements that seemed to work best.
  • Jeremi Eldridge
    Love what you've done with her design.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added some color and polish tonight.

003_concept_color.jpg

I guess it's time to start making stuff. Boo!

Azuryon-thanks a lot!
  • Micky Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like the design on this one.

The one thing that sticks out is that the beak no longer looks like a swan to me.
    In the original, the shape of the beak and the painting on the helmet are quite clearly swan-like, but the new long beak on your concept reminds me a lot more of a seagull or something.
    Especially since the characteristic upward swing towards and around the eye is missing.

Just my 2 cents....
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing too crazy, just making the base figure. I'll be starting on the outfit now. Probably won't get too much more detailed with the figure.

004_figureBase.jpg

Micky Pain-Thanks for the input. Yeah I agree, I made a comment that she's looking more raven-like but I'm fine with that. In the end I'll probably call her something to the effect of the dark or fallen swan.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Nice design and I like the idea. Would be nice to see a flash of Bright red in there somewhere as its a very noticeable part of the black swan. With the purple I kinda see her as a crow or raven atm.

EDIT: oh, I just read your last comment. Your already aware of it.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turd polishing ahoy! Started the form fitting stuff in 3d coat then brought it into maya. I still have quite a bit to do of course.

005_clothingBase_v1.jpg

This is some example of what I used as reference. The shiny spandex is what I want to achieve for the skirt and top.

005_2_clothingRef.jpg

I ended up changing the boots for practical reasons as my original design had no practical way of attaching.

Stinger88-for sure! I thought my concept was more colorful than it is but I think I was just tired and hallucinating. The beak visor is supposed to be pretty bright red. I'll have to do a second pass on colors there.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some gloves tonight
    006_gloves.jpg

006_2_clothingRef.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what I did but I didn't save last nights work or too much yankee rum drink. Anyway 2nd time went faster and got one belt done. I mixed in more feather variant as well.
    007_belt.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pardon the large image. I got the base cape done. Ended up looking kind of interesting from the top so I included that here. I wanted to model it partially in-pose to get the scale correct. Also added glowy bits to the second part of the belt. Helmet underway.
    008_cape.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    very very nice, I really like what you have going here....could you perhaps push the fallen/dark aspect more with the forms though as opposed to just the pallette choice though. Either way looking forward to seeing her done.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you sir. Yeah that's a good idea. I wonder if I should add some distress in texturing and zbrush. I was thinking some tattoos rather than the fishnet stuff as well.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished the helmet and hair so with that I'm done with my zfriendly mesh and can move on to the high res. If anyone has ideas feel free to throw them out there. I'd like to add more red accents in the texturing.
    009_helmet.jpg
    Won't be able to do anything else till next week.
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some serious detail in that belt. the silhouette on everything looks nice.

i especially like how the cape is swept to the side of her.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hit up the helmet with zbrush. I ended up making a separate ztool for the vent meshing. I didn't want visible holes in the helmet through to the head. I'm thinking I'll add that to some of the other costume elements. I don't want it too busy so I hope to keep the detail meaningful. Anyhow, let me know if there's anything that would help it. Thanks!
    010_zHelmet.jpg

AKAperly-cool thank you! I will be hating that cape when it comes time to rig it.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the doll-eye and face was kind of pissing me off and just didn't fit what I wanted to achieve. I started hacking in something different here and I'll continue to tweak it as I work on the rest of the character. I wish my name was Boa.
    011_zFace.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is coming along great, love the way the design is coming out keep it coming, the helmet looks great so far!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a bit more progress this week on the head, hair and helmet. A buddy at work suggested adding a lower beak so I went with that. I need to do one more pass on the face but I want to finish the rest of the zbrush work this weekend.

012_zFace2.jpg

V-MAX- hey thank you!

woogity-thanks a lot, I should stop working on it soon!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the torso a while and gave her and athletic build. Changing up the boots at the moment.

013_zTorso.jpg

Any feedback feel free. Thanks!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Her nose seems quite big, and her chin seems a bit far back.

I'd look at images of Kristin Kreuk if your trying to get something similar to the original reference image. She has similar features, small nose, large eyes, elfin type features.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's Chun Li! :)

Heh, on a serious note, thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll definitely do another pass on the face and adjust the nose and chin. I'm not sure yet if I'll use Kristin Kreuk or stick with the one I was. I can play around with both. I'm shooting for hyper-real proportions and features so not too toony.
  • RPTGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely work, for what its worth I dont mind her face, she's not looking like a generic super babe. Its got character and believability, its your call of course but I would try to keep some of that character when you refine her features.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need to get crackin on texturing. I'll be doing a polish pass on all the subtools as I'm ripping them.

014_zCape.jpg

015_zFull.jpg

RPTGB-thanks for the feedback! I definitely want to keep some uniqueness and character.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the triangle count to the right ballpark. I'll be adding hair so I left some uv space for that as well as some helmet padding. Once everything is ripped I'll be moving geometry around and smoothing stuff like the cape. Texture compliments of Pior from some time past.

016_uvLayout.jpg

I worked on the face some more but that's still in progress. I hope to wrap that up tonight.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed up some things on the face. It turns out at least part of the ear is visible so I have to go finish that. I'll post the face and hair texture some time this weekend. In the meantime I textured the helmet. This is a screengrab from Marmoset Toolbag. I'm using a combination of ambient occlusion, hand painted alpha and translucency with premultiplied alpha for the beak. It still needs some work but that's the joy of alpha. I'm curious if the hair will sort correctly. If not I'm prepared to make some solid hair. Right now I'm using the sunlight lighting with an orange fill and blue rim light.

017_texture01.jpg
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a few things to clean up before I pose her but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    018_faceTextured.jpg
    019_figureTextured.jpg
  • eCzety
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking awsome, how did I miss this thread. the detail on the acessories is incredible. the style you went for is really cool as well.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    may want to add some patterning or something to the cape, it is so big that without a bit of detail it begins to look repetitive. awesome work on the bakes and everything the model looks awesome and has a fantastic silhouette for sure. o also, maybe give her a little more color in the lips.
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a pretty ugly rig only a mother could love at lunch. It should get the job done.
    020_rig.jpg

Shooting for something like
    poseRef.jpg

eCzety-heya, thank you!

woogity-thank you once again for the feedback! I am thinking I can do a large black webbing over the whole thing and maybe red tips on the cape ends. I'll see if I have time.

I was thinking for an actual game situation the cape could function similar to a wrestler or fighter stepping into the ring. She could walk up to the fight, a flock of birds would descend to lift the cape away and at some point during the fight the birds could drop the cape like a big net leaving her to beat the hell out of whoever was trapped inside. Like this minus the family friendly.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3U36PRIvhUaGii185rhVqho2hS0hsBTaAZcktBp-IPWZbmjfkzQ&t=1
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message