Home Technical Talk

Pivot goes wild when dublicating objects in Maya.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
I am working on a big scene and everytime i dublicate a face or object the pivot moves away towards the center of the scene. is there some settings in Maya that can change this ? , if an object have a pivot in one place before i copy it i would like it to stay at the same possition on the new object.

thanks.

Replies

• Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    That shouldn't happen... :S

How are you duplicating the object? Just with Ctrl+D or are you using a script to do it or something?
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    You can just select an object and go to Modify-> Center pivot. Also if you hit the insert key with an object selected you can move the pivot anywhere you want.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    are you by any change duplicating by clicking on "duplicate face" under edit mesh and your source mesh is on the center of the scene after which you use local space to move the object and when you go back to object mode it still snaps on the original mesh?

or does it happen when you just hit ctrl-d and at that very moment the pivot jumps to the center of the scene?
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    ibarter , i know that but then its to late, i dont want to snap it back everytime.

elementrix . ctrl or shift + d doesnt work in edit mode so i use the dublicate face as you say, the pivot then goes back to the scenes center.. very frustrating.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    yeah after you've chosen the duplicate face tool you should go back to the move tool and move it then, don't move it with the local space gizmo that comes with it because your worldspace pivot will stay on the original mesh.

I never ever use the duplicate face tool though, best is to just use ctrl-d and go back to object mode before you duplicate something.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    i am not sure i understand isnt it just possible to dublicate a face in some easy way and have the pivot stay on the new created faces ?, perhaps someone knows how to create a script that makes shift + d work in edit mode aswell ?

thanks for your anwsers.