Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Need Critiques] Yep...Another Orc Battle Axe

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I just finished up this Battle Axe.
I'd love a few critiques on it.
I went a little overboard with the scratches in both the diffuse and specular..but I think it fits the reference.
5n856c.jpg
Heres the reference:
kak8ap.jpg
more renders:
11v14xf.jpg
15gp4es.jpg
Spread sheet is a place holder, I had to do it really fast. I'll make another one soon...i just wanted to show the LP mesh
2bs5zb.jpg
oh and the zbrush model:
154c0vk.jpg

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet texture work man, Would be nice to see some blood staining on it however, (congealed blood would gather in the folders in the fabric nearer to the blade and stain patches of the metal) The overall feel atm is great, but i think it just needs a couple of bloody and grime passes.

Nice work!
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Loving the texture work so far.
    What I'd rather see is you put all these insane polygons in the general shape roundness of the handle instead of modeling out each strap. It kinda destroys the illusion to me.
    Because the blockiness is totally visible now, while some normal mapped straps here and there wouldn't be noticed as much.
    You know what I mean ?
    I think it's a huge letdown to the model right now because the handle is a rather big element of the weapon :/
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Nice axe.

Crit: The Low poly version could be soo much more Low poly. I think you could probably half the polycount, especially in the axe head.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a bit too much scratching....is that even physically possible to scratch metal that much? besides that insane ammount it looks great....but seriously...that is waaaaaaaay to much
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree. The scratching is over the top and its too "white". The brightness should come from the specualr more so than the colour really.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah that axe head could REALLY use some optimisation!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Visceral wrote: »
    thats a bit too much scratching....is that even physically possible to scratch metal that much? besides that insane ammount it looks great....but seriously...that is waaaaaaaay to much

To Orks thats mild scratching in fact its practically brand new.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »

Orc technology sure is amazing.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Calabi wrote: »

haha, yeah I would like everyone to keep in mind this is being used by a huge orc boss dude. I want it to be somewhat realistic and fantasy at the same time..
    As for the polycount, I was given a maximum of 3,000 polys to create this with...So I used every poly I could for the hell of it. Most of the polys are in the damn handle!
    I do want to make a lower poly one and re-texture (diffuse only) it WoW style to add to my portfolio. I want to start getting into hand painted textures.

The current texture is 100% hand painted, but the specular really brought out the reality in it.

I still have alot to learn about hand painting WoW style..diffuse only is going to be hard. Painting cartoony is tricky!
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    My only crit would be to add a bit of color on the blade, besides the possibility of blood. Perhaps some faded paint on one of the pieces holding it together, or the orc emblem itself. Just something with a bit more saturation than the rust

Anyway, looks great, really nice work on it