Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning to sculpt faces [WIP]

Hey p'counters!

I just started working on this head in sculptris. I began with a sphere, and tried to follow the planes of the face as closely as possible.

It's still a work in progress. I need to do the mouth and I plan on re-doing the ear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dKTYs.jpg

Replies

• ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the face is looking really good so far!
    I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like your face might be a little flat. I know I had this problem a lot when I was doing my face. The nose sticks out a lot more from the eyes than you might think.
    Same with the mouth, I know you said it's a work in progress, as of now the mouth looks like it'll be pretty flat too.
    Here is a profile view i got through google:
    maleeuropeanfaceprofile.th.jpg

Good luck with the rest of your face!
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hes got a really hollow lower cheecks. use grab tool to pull ears out, makes it look much more human. for doing ears i reccomend you scrap the current ear by smoothing it out, then pump up the detail level and use standard (no clay) brush to make a blob lumpy where the ear connects with the head. then mask of behind the ear, and grab the blob over the masked area ( set grab to limit ). this way you have much more control over how you want it to look. don't forget to turn down the detail level once you've got the basic ear pulled in shape.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits! I'm going to keep working on him today and post progress later.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on making the face less flat. I also re-did the ears, and brought the nose up a bit.

7DPeT.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey there! It wouldnt be a bad idea to get all your forms in place, and then start refining and tweaking. Remember, as an artist you should pretty much always be working from big-->small.
    Get those elements in place, scaled and positioned correctly, then starting worrying about any details.
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, Scooby! I'll definitely focus on finishing the big forms before doing wrinkles and such.

Here is some more progress.

cJJEx.jpg
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to put this guy on hold until next weekend.