Home General Discussion

mega meshes

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
kinda neat tech developed at lionhead, they are able to render 10's of billions of polies on the 360. artists, sculpt everything, vertex paint on the highrez, magic software coverts all the data to real textures, artists dont have to make uvs, they are generated automatically.. this is for environment guys, looks pretty neat, but would be a major change in workflow, looks like they are taking the disney route.

http://miciwan.com/GDC2011/GDC2011_Mega_Meshes.pdf

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    That's really cool. I didn't read the entire article because it's huge and mostly technical details but the general idea speaks to me. Quite often I get mentally tired because I have to keep considering all the technical sides of art when really all I want to do is sculplt without a care in the world.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M04SMNkTx9E[/ame]

This is the next gen I think? (I.E. The "normal maps" of the first part of this decade).
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome, that vid looks great, and the pdf is very interesting! Lots of neat stuff in there, not only the geo pipeline, but also all the texture stuff, would love to give this kind of tech a try.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About half way through the document, quite awesome tech. Would love to try it out as well. Seems like a giant environment based Zbrush with multiple users... hmm maybe that's an odd way of putting it.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It sounds nice, but if I look at that video I'm not really that impressed. I mean, it looks nice, but there's still a lot of jaggies, and I saw a fair bit of flickering/popin too.

On the other hand, the 360 is rather outdated hardware.

edit: I must admit I'm rather sleepy and haven't read the PDF, so maybe I'll be a lot more impressed tomorrow morning.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    IEatApples wrote: »
    About half way through the document, quite awesome tech. Would love to try it out as well. Seems like a giant environment based Zbrush with multiple users... hmm maybe that's an odd way of putting it.

Yeah it sounds awesome... so when can others get their hands on it? or do we have to apply at Lionhead ? :)