Home Unreal Engine

SoftImage: ActorX .psk export crash; need help

I recently upgraded to a new computer, and had to re-install all of my old software. The problem is: I've begun having trouble with exporting .psk files from Actorx using SoftImage; whenever I export a file, I get the message
Unsmooth groups processing: [0] vertices added.
and when I import into the UDK, I get
Warning skeletal mesh has no vertex influences
When imported to the march beta, the mesh doesn't appear at all (invisible)
When imported to the December beta, the mesh will appear, but everything will not use a collision model
I read that there was a setting you had to change, but whenever I modify any of the settings, SoftImage crashes.
I had a similar problem before on the old machine, but I don't remember how I did it, and it somehow caused the animation exporter to export corrupt files.

Has anyone else had this problem? and if so, how did they fix it?
(I've already done this for several hours in more broader and more accurate terms than this)

I'm running windows 7 64bit with SoftImage 64bit
I used to be runngin Vista 32bit, with modtools 7.5 and 6.5

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Meh, ActorX for Softimage is, hem, full of bugs. Not updated exactly.
    I have got a lot of problems with it, specially with skeletal mesh (a lot of time my faces was inverted).
    If you can, use the fbx instead.
    I don't have Softimage with me now, but maybe you can send me your file for I look a little.
    How did you do your skin weight on the mesh ?

What do you use ? Modtool ? If I remember correctly, the actorx plugin work bad (or not at all) with the modtool.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently using Softimage 2011. I recently realized that no one would be able to help with the actorx issue, and I managed to make it work with the .fbx exporter, but I've decided that; due to the fact that Softimage seems to be one of the least supported 3d packages for game modelling/developement, and the fact that I almost never see it used, I think I'll gradually move over to max or maya. Softimage will always be my favourite, I'm sure, but I think that it would be more practical to become proficient in another package.

Thanks for the offer though! I wasn't expecting someone to offer to take as much time out of their day as that!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    No problem. ;)
    Try Maya, in my case after starting with softimage I have tried Maya that I prefer at Max because Maya is in the same technic of work.
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks.