Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brazilian carnival dancer WIP

Hey guys, I’m still relatively new on these forums with this being my third thread. My latest project at the moment is based on a stylized Brazilian carnival dancer. Let me know what you guys think of the WIP and crits are always welcome

fuzzy1013d-4d83275e3e3869.jpg

fuzzy1013d-4d8327643e386c.jpg

fuzzy1013d-4d8327683e386f.jpg

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    your topology needs alot of work, its very strange in places.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comment, in which places would you say i need to fix?. Or is it the whole topology
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Mainly in the legs and the butt, also in the shoulders. you should have flowing edge loops flowing across the leg, but you seem to have these wierd square extrusions
    LimbTopology?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=JeongSeongHwa_swordmaster_leg.gif
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh ok. the way I was taught was by creating a flat surface for the butt and instead of rounding them off I extruded the faces of the butt 2 or 3 times while scaling them in. By doing this I have more control over the edges and more vertices to tweak around with, a way to get the rounded shape of the butt. And for the shoulder I had to insert a few edge loops to create the clavicle, I also needed to reroute some edges. For the leg I think it’s just a matter of how people approach it, seeing from your image you have left the shape of the leg with minimal detail (edge loops). I have only extruded out more faces to create more realism and detail to the knee area of the model. Have a look at the image below

fuzzy1013d-4d8351f93e391d.jpg

fuzzy1013d-4d8352003e3920.jpg
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    hahaa! you nailed the proportions for brazilian women! ;-p
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOOL, a bit of curve there, a bit of curve here, and a bit of curve everywhere lol
  • harrytraynor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the foot looks weird from the angle in the first pic.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be fair the feet is the only part of the model which I am not happy with, I will have to go back to it and tweak some stuff. From the front it looks normal but yeh from that angle it’s a bit weird lol. While I’m here I will post to progress of the hair

fuzzy1013d-4d83836d3e3a59.jpg
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hair is now complete, let me know what you guys think so far

fuzzy1013d-4d83cb183e3da0.jpg

fuzzy1013d-4d83cb123e3d9d.jpg

fuzzy1013d-4d83cb0c3e3d9a.jpg
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest render image, almost done now

fuzzy1013d-4d8a1f433e974e.jpg
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    At the mo I dont like it, sorry. Feet look wrong, shading on the texture just seems misplaced rather than toony, the materials, the feather, headress etc look weak, and the lighting is non existant. If Im honest it looks like a poor photoshop painting, not a lit model. If your going for the painterly style, compare your work to firstkeepers or slipgates.

On the plus side, I think the proportions and the overall model is quite good (apart from the feet!) Sort the feet, the texture and the lighting and I think it could look a thousand times better.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man. I feel like she would be in Dead or Alive.. You have some real funky work going on with the hands. Her thumb is super high up and her fingers stubby. Her hand is flat and is missing a lot of definition. You want want to keep working your anatomy before you get to texturing and rendering because you have a lot of proportions off. Just because something is stylized, you need to make it look like everything can work together.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Drav for the crit, will work on it. The thing is for the model I have not UV mapped and textured it; I am using a Mel script plug-in by David Yong. I have placed many spot lights in the scene but this is the results I get. I did have a look at both firstkeepers and slipgates work and I must say it’s quite brilliant the style and that. Do you think that I would only achieve that type of style if I hand painted the textures in Photoshop.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Ye you need to unwrap and texture it for sure. Its pretty easy/quick to do for characters, find a good tutorial and follow it, a good texture will help a million times over. However, as Erich said, theres a few bits on the modelling side you will want to fix as well, and that needs to happen beore you UV.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you both Drav and Erich. I dont want to sound a pain but would you know a good texturing tutorial as this is my worst area. I am the worst at painting textures. Lol its so bad that when i model character i often leave the untextured because tobh i fail at it.