Home General Discussion

Blog Portfolios or Portfolio Blogs?

I'm thinking about restarting my portfolio and using Blogspot to keep everything in order. Anyone have a good looking portfolio/blog that I can use for reference? Since it's a portfolio, I want everything I want to show of to be at the forefront, but I'd also like to have some space for personal stuff.

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say just kill the 'blog' part of it, do you have anything people 'really' need to read? Not trying to be an ass, but 90% of all 'portfolio/blog' suck. I can name about 2 that are actually useful.
  • Tyrone70
    lol. i get what you're saying. i've seen a few that i like, but i can't remember them right now by name. just random signatures i've clicked through.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yes but consider my story. Because of my blog it got me noticed by an agency who now invite me to game events to review games. They wanted me to go to some Xperia Play thing for that new Sony phone for example. Then there was L4D 2 before it was even out.

So for god sake, don't listen to him. I don't get many views but it got me "noticed."
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Blogs are a very good chance, too, to write-up some tutorials.
    I would think that would be impressive for employers- you really know your craft if you can teach it.
    Plus, it showcases your attitude. I'd think that to be good, as well.
    Plus, you can post WIPs. I have one, myself- but I have yet to really make use of it.
  • Tyrone70
    Joopson wrote: »
    Blogs are a very good chance, too, to write-up some tutorials.
    I would think that would be impressive for employers- you really know your craft if you can teach it.
    Plus, it showcases your attitude. I'd think that to be good, as well.
    Plus, you can post WIPs. I have one, myself- but I have yet to really make use of it.
    Everything you stated is exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to pay money just to have a website that establishes me as another worker bee without a personality. to me, blog portfolios seem more human. are companies still hiring those :P
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I have site and Blog... and nowadays, I'm focusing just on the blog. Much easier to update than a site. I have a custom page that serve as gallery, and the page of WIPs. WIPs are great, they show the world you are studying and improving all the time.

You have unlimited space to host your pics, and pays nothing for it. I recommend.
    If you want to check out, click on my signature.

EDIT: Hey Joopson, how are you doing man? I didn't know you were here on PC too.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    http://andrewclarkart.blogspot.com/

possibly the best example of a portfolio made from blogger.....mine is less impressive but click the sig if you need to see another one :) you can make your blog a seperate page and it can stay out of the way as much as you want it to I guess.
  • Tyrone70
    am i the only one who has to go to someone's profile in order to see their signature?
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    blogspot is becoming much more versatile with layout capabilities. like Jeremy said, kill the idea of it being a "blog". use it as a gallery.

Seth's example is great. Also check out Striker's and Terrabite's. Similar layouts, but fine examples of using blogspot as a gallery for your work, which is exactly what your portfolio should be. Well presented, easy to access, FREE, and puts your work first!

As for the signature thing you mentioned, you may want to PM an admin and see if they are aware of it. I've noticed one or two other people say that they can't see sigs, even their own.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    This happened to me, check your CP>edit options>thread display options: and make sure that you have show signatures ticked....beyond that, yeah admin issue....hope it helps :)
  • slipgatecentral
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    as long as employer doesn't have to browse through tons of useless and distracting shit, it doesnt matter what you use, be it blogspot or DAportfolio

example given above is perfect, though I'd avoid using too small thumbs, no practical reason for that
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I have a portfolio. In this portfolio I post portfolio stuff.
    I have a blog. In this blog i post a bunch of art wip shit and tests I do that never go to my portfolio due to their testy nature. You can access one from the other. Works for me. :)

I do think that if you combine your blog with your portfolio the lines might get blurry and suddenly people see your wips and tests as your portfolio. Not always ideal.
  • Tyrone70
    Firebert wrote: »
    blogspot is becoming much more versatile with layout capabilities. like Jeremy said, kill the idea of it being a "blog". use it as a gallery.

Seth's example is great. Also check out Striker's and Terrabite's. Similar layouts, but fine examples of using blogspot as a gallery for your work, which is exactly what your portfolio should be. Well presented, easy to access, FREE, and puts your work first!

As for the signature thing you mentioned, you may want to PM an admin and see if they are aware of it. I've noticed one or two other people say that they can't see sigs, even their own.
    Thank you! And yeah, I was always going to have the portfolio be a the forefront. I just wanted to have a little personalization as well, especially if i'm paying for a domain name.
  • EarthQuake
    Tyrone, please kill the red text, it is very annoying.
  • Tyrone70
    sure, but only because you ask so nicely ^_^
    i got rid of it completely. i forgot I even put one up to be honest.
  • EarthQuake
    Thanks! You don't need to remove it, just avoid brash colors.