Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[3DSMAX] Octopus rig for use in UDK - WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Roffotron polycounter lvl 9
:icon_exclaim:BOUNCE FOR JOY:icon_exclaim:

gerald_cap.png

Alrighty then - I've done the vast majority of rigging work for this octopus rig, and while skinning isn't complete, I'd like for whomever may want to to give the rig a quick once over and to give me some C&C. Please be as frank as you can - this is for my masters dissertation. I did put it up a while ago, but it seems to of been auto-saged, and yes, I have looked for it, but alas, no luck.

I'll explain a few things:

1) I've hidden the other layers other than the mesh and control objects, nothing is locked down in the other layers as of yet. So they've been frozen. Also, ADVrigging layers are for effects and BASErigging layers are for skinning purposes

2) I've been told by my tutor that this rig can run slowly due to the number of springs I have in the rig.

3) For controlling the legs, spheres are for general rotation/positioning and the spline objects lining each leg are for twist

Sorry for the link, file's rather large

dropbox

Thank you those who take the time to answer, it is much appreciated.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) What app? Max, Maya, XSI, Blender...

2) FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS PURE IN THIS WORLD! PEOPLE! USE DROPBOX!

If I click your link I shouldn't be assaulted by this shit... Then 8 pages of pop up ads.
    AnnoyingPopUpGETDROPBOX.jpg
    Unless of course your aim is to piss people off to the point that they do not trust any link you post ever again... I'm off to scrub my system clean I suggest anyone unwise enough to click those links do the same.
  • Roffotron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roffotron polycounter lvl 9
    Edited for humble pie
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hm, would I rather get rid of the source of a virus, or just vaccinate myself against it?
    Mark has a good point- I never like to download anything from these sketchy pop-up sites. It immediately puts me off- and I just close the window.

Dropbox is certainly a better option.
    But, of course, do what you will.
    Someone will download eventually.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Well I did download it, I'll try it out later and let you know what I thought of it. :)

But yes, for the love of god listen to Marks advice and get yourself a dropbox please :P