Home Technical Talk

Trying to create a blister pack effect

PnG
PnG
Okay im not sure if anyone saw my last thread but i've had to stop trying to character model for a whyle as a friend needs help.

What i am trying to create is a blister pack with 2 holes where the wings of the product come through.

I have found a few different plastic materials online however none of them seem to look right.

Here are a few screen shots of what i have been able to do.

frontp.jpg

rightabove.jpg

Just wondering how you would go about making a plastic looking outer shell around that object that cuts off at the wings. And if you have any good plastic materials, as i have tried over 15 so far and he isn't happy with any.

Thanks for the help

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reference photos are key. Clear plastic is all about the reflections, which of course vary wildly depending on the surroundings.

Get your friend to sign off on a particular photo he likes, then work to duplicate that look in your render.

Clamshell is another term for the same thing. First hit on Google...
    clam-shell1.jpg
  • PnG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PnG
    I have got the correct shape and look to the model. I am just looking for a good reflective plastic material if anyone has any. To look like the plastic eric chadwick posted.

Cheers
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's unlikely you'll get a shader that just "works", because something like this is usually quite dependent on the underlying meshes. But you never know it might happen.

Anyhow in your example, is the packaged object the whole blue shape? It looks like you're not using a separate mesh "shell" for your blisterpack, but you should.

You need that bit of air space between the surfaces, to sell the idea that it is inside a plastic shape. It also helps to have a flange around the object that is only plastic, for labelling and for hanging it on a rack in the store.

A couple ideas anyhow.

Also it would help to explain which software and renderer you're using.
  • PnG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PnG
    Sorry about the way im explaining this. I will post some renders and explain in greater detail when i get home.

Im at work and then i get asked to do such a thing with it and i get mithered to post asking for help.

Im using 3ds max 2011 and vray
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    interesting project.
    as eric said, i'd analyze the reference. and in most cases it's pretty simple. see this pic

plastic.jpg

the biggest problem will be to tweak the settings of your material, to do, what you want it to do. you use vray. i think there are some example materails you can use as a starting point.
    i'd use the mr arch+design materials. there are some good preset mats in there
    last but not least, you have to set up a studio lighting scene, where you place that thing. which is mainly a small room with some lighter boxes in there, for that you get some reflection on your object
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just tried for myself to see what can be achieved by playing with the material presets.
    i tweaked a bit, and a shader guy would rip my head off, but its a start.
    see below for a download link to the max file. check the settings of the materials.
    afaik the arch and design mats also work for vray..
    ah and btw: you might want to check those too:
    http://www.vray-materials.de/
    http://www.mrmaterials.com/

link to max file for below scene

5.jpg
  • PnG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PnG
    Thanks so much for the help i had a play around with the materials and such last night and this morning and got some renders.

?ui=2&ik=1990d0bafc&view=att&th=12edd6f45f54cdf9&attid=0.5&disp=inline&realattid=f_glkrtrsi4&zw

I re positioned your mesh just to get a screen shot as they wanted to see atleast one render of it.

The scene + lighting and material all work amazing i just have one other question, how did you make your plastic with the 'inside box'

I may have done something to it when moving it but it seemed as if inside the box there was another box.. is it something like a shell modifiyer to get that shape?
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, glad it helped. you mean the red one? well i applied a shell modifier to the translucent plastic cover. could be, that i accidentally applied it also to the red box.
  • PnG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PnG
    Ermm nope sorry not the red box the actual plastic cover.. did you make that with planes and then add a shell to it?
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure. afaik there are still all modifiers on it in the max file. you can disable all, to see how its done
  • PnG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PnG
    Hi again. Im just wondering is there a way to render the image out with 'super black' background or to where it comes out with a transparent background instead of having to then cut around the image ? We tried a few things online with changing the options when rendering but couldn't get it to do what we wanted.
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just remvove the ground plane man..that's the easiest way
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Not even, just make sure you have your alpha channel enabled and you'll get just that. Check your render common settings.
  • PnG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PnG
    Thanks again for all the help on the other model.

I am now trying to make another model that will have the basic shape of a wedge of cheese. However im stumped on a few things.

For instance im not sure if i have to continue geometory all the way around the model. For instance here on the back.
    cheeseblockproblem.jpg
    The red lines are what i've added in paint. Do i need to add those red lines or is it fine to just have the cuts on the back end at the corner?

Also i am getting some weird errors when smoothed.

cheeseblockproblem2.jpg

cheeseblockproblem3.jpg
    Any help / tips on where im going wrong?

Cheers
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Those are smoothing group errors. I probably wont be able to help as I dont exactly know how they work but in max you have to assign smoothing groups. Sure if you google smoothing groups max it'll probably be more useful than me :P