Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

new zbrush user looking for feedback

I just started learning zbrush and would greatly appreciate feedback and criticism on my character.

This is the first in a series of attempts at a character using zbrush but this one is the first that is starting to look like a human.

frontview.jpg
sideview.jpg
3quarter.jpg

Replies

• makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    experiment with the brushes learn to tame it like a woman...
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i would recommend starting out with just 2 or 3 brushes at first, sometimes using all the brushes right when you start can get overwhelming. my most commonly used brushes are the clay tubes, medium polish, move, and the dam_standard.

also i would suggest you focus on getting down correct proportions and silhouette before moving up in subdivision levels. bascially, use as little geometry as possible until you physically can't include the detail you want to include

edit: oh and please, please, PLEASE use a different material. the default red wax material is terrible in my opinion, and it accentuates the facets in lower quality meshes. try out a few of the others the next time you open up zbrush, and get in the habit of checking your model in perspective from time to time (i find this helps, even if you dont like to sculpt in it)

double edit: oh, and if your not, use reference
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, to reiterate, stay in a lower subdivision level. The absolute first step is to define volume and do it properly. You need to get down form before continuing to learn anything else.

What is your reference material? It would help to include that so we can gauge where to give constructive feedback.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    If you are a new zbrush user looking to do character work, I highly recommend Zack Petroc's DVD's from Gnomon. They are dated back to the late ZB2 days, but they still hold true and you will learn a ton, not only about anatomy, but also about a good ZBrush sculpting work flow.