Home Technical Talk

Modelling a car for a racing game.

Hey, I'm just about to start modelling my first car for a racing game. Just wondering if there's anything important I should take into account before I start. Presumably since its a hard surface model then perfect topology isn't a massive issue. How does the modelling affect things like reflections? Anyone who has modelled game cars before have any general tips?

Cheers in advance.

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Presumably since its a hard surface model then perfect topology isn't a massive issue.
    Actually perfect topology is more important on cars than just about any other kind of model. Because the object is both reflective and very precise even the smallest pinches and bumps will stand out.

Good sub-d car modeling is about building a really tight and clean cage. You should define every curve and edge in full and leave very little for the sub divisions to do. Mid poly car models for games are built just about the same way but usually with more segments and no smoothing modifier.
  • DigitalDilettante
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Actually perfect topology is more important on cars than just about any other kind of model. Because the object is both reflective and very precise even the smallest pinches and bumps will stand out.

Good sub-d car modeling is about building a really tight and clean cage. You should define every curve and edge in full and leave very little for the sub divisions to do. Mid poly car models for games are built just about the same way but usually with more segments and no smoothing modifier.

Ah ok, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the tips!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Oh also sign up at cg-cars.com and check out peoples work in the low poly and game forum. You will be able to see what some really good wires look for cars like this.