Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Post

Hack
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hack polycounter lvl 12
Hello everyone! This is a first for me here on Polycount. Below is a few pieces I've been working on in school. I currently have around 6 months left in school. Critiques are welcomed with open arms. I just want to get some feedback, good or bad, on some of my work so far. Enjoy!

All models are done in Max, textures in PS and rendered in UDK:

1111789_orig.jpg

3528263_orig.jpg

3968195_orig.jpg

1746083_orig.jpg

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    your stuff always blows me away in class! :)

on the yellow fire hydrant, there seems to be some stretching at the bottom where the grunge is, or at least it seems like it.

do you have a process to bake your normals? because the sci fi hallway has such a clean bake. looks amazing

keep up the good work
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Your metal at times doesn't read off as metal. It reads sort of soft like felt for some reason. Or at times concrete.

Your wall on the third render is really overblown, lighting wise, and there seems to be funky things going on with your normals. Next time you bake your stuff out make sure not to just soften the entire prop but separate sections with hard and soft edges to get a bake out with your normals.

I also recommend, with your next presentation shots, To show bigger versions of your textures. They are so small its almost a tease/pointless to have them in that corner.

Fire hrydrant is rad, though. I'm assuming you go to the Ai in San Diego, I graduated there and its always nice to see good artists coming out of there.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Not sure if it's just me, but I can't see the pictures, links are all broken :(

EDIT: Just got to school, working fine here...

The sci fi scene and the red fire hydrant look pretty skookum. The yellow fire hydrant looks a little strange to me. Perhaps its the mass of random scratches? I'd try a blend of wear-and-tear between the red and yellow fire hydrant for the new one. Otherwise looking sweet
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The sci-fi scene looks great. If you want it to reach perfection you should go back for the textures though. The metal material feels a bit undefined and plane.

The fire hydrant is very poly heavy. Would never go as a prop. It looks good, but it's way to HP. You an optimize down the curvatures and especially the small chains. That would go as alphas in my world :)

Over all, ACE! :) Looking forward for some more!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Not sure if it's just me, but I can't see the pictures, links are all broken :(

Workin' fine for me.

Crit wise i'd say you're textures are reading a bit noisy, and your first image has a really heavy contrast that makes it difficult to read the details. I'd be careful about pure black for darks and try to simulate some bounced light to compliment that orange light source at the end of the hallway. Don't forget to add subtle lighting transitions for your secondary lights as well.

I like the composition of your first shot, and do like the direction so keep it up, it's reading well.

I'm also noticing some lightmap seams between your modular floor pieces. Make sure you ensure the edges of your modular pieces have vertex normals facing directly up so your lighting and lightmaps can transition evenly to the next piece. It's better explained here, http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77539

Fire hydrant looks great however rust and scratch placement can use some work, try placing more of the wear along the edges vice open areas, UV's are also a bit blurry at the base of the hydrant.

All in all good work, keep pushing fore refinement.
  • Hack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hack polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the crits guys!

@Erich - I agree with the metal thing. It's because I sharpen my texture and sometimes it turns my metal into concrete. I haven't mastered metal yet. I'll play around with the wall pieces a bit more. Ya I currently go to AISD. I good to talk to people who have graduated before me.

@Olsson - I most definitely can reduce the poly's on my hydrant (the chains esp). Its funny because I was going to do alphas but my teacher wanted them modeled out. Oh well, thanks for the great feedback.

@Kaburan - Thanks for the feeback. I will make changes soon. You actually did a similar project at our school and I was trying to beat ya! You and I both did a scifi hallway/wall for Senior Project Planning's midterm scene. Asa just compared both scenes the other day. Don't know if I accomplished that... Thanks so much for that link! Those light maps were giving me hell in udk. Lighting in that scene was tough for me, I'll take your advice and add some more point lights. With the hydrant i need to mess with the UV's at the base to get a better result. Thanks again for the crits.

Thanks again guys.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hack wrote: »
    Those light maps were giving me hell in udk. Lighting in that scene was tough for me, I'll take your advice and add some more point lights.

Don't worry, my sci-fi scene had the same exact problems, and its still there :)