Home Technical Talk

Starting Character Modeling

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
I am mainly a Environment/Prop Artist, and I am inspired to start Character Modeling. There are some questions and advice I would like to ask specifically for polycount.

1. Do I have to be a master at anatomy? or do I just need to know the basic muscle structure?

2) Are there any good free tutorials or advice I can have until I have enough cash to get some eat3d dvd's?

3) My problem is setting up the Character Sheets in Max properly so they are aligned right, is there any tips on that?

Sorry if this is a redundant topic, and also if anyone has spare advice to give please feel free to do so :)

Thanks,
John

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    1) The more you know about anatomy the better.you don´t need to know each muscles name but knowing where they are,who they look and behave helps

2)There are many free tutorials on 3dtotal i suggest looking there

3)paste them all in photoshop and align them there, and make slices and export them(use another layer for guide lines)
    Afterwards get them into max all on one view first and rotate them with angle snap on to the desired positions(you can align them in max if you want to skip the ps part)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks SpeCter and Dustin, very helpful.