• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome!
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really sweet! Love the ketchup and mustard bottles,

My only thing that you could check out would be that your normal map is wasteful in a sense that only the one piece is using this.

I'm only saying this as Baddcog had commented on my post saying that I had done the same thing. Here is what he told me:

Honestly if you plan to use in a game there are several issues to consider that don't really get brought up around here much.

drawcalls, overdraw, batchcount... they vary between engines.

usually using 1 material per object is better than several.But on an object like this I can see reasons where one map ISN'T better.

1- half your normal map isn't even being used. The big side panels have no normal data at all. And if you are going to float geometry for the buttons, then the board they are on is going to use no normal data.

2- I assume you'll be using a spec map. But most of the machine won't use it either. So lots of wasted tex space.

textures have to load up on the vid card, taking time and space.

So by using 2 maps you'll increase your draw calls by two, but cut your tex memory in half.
    The normal map/spec map and diffuse would result in 3 overdraws anyway.

So if you put everything that is a flat diffuse and flat normals (side panels, button board) onto one tex you'll save any overdraw on those pixels.

Then put the things that use normals (screen, coin slot plate) onto another smaller tex. Those most likely need specular too. And possibly a glow map for the screen, so you can keep all the pixel overdraws limited to a smaller texture and keep the larger texture simpler.

If you need a small normal bevel on the side of the large panel that can just go onto the smaller texture (the edges of the large panels).

and here is the link to my post if you need to see it in context.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81818&page=2

Hope this helps,

Ben
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    yeah i realized valve hardly uses any normals on tf2
    but this is just a prop i did for an assignment in my game asset and development class

create a tf2 style sentry :)
  • topher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. Would be cool if it were a sentry gun and a dispenser, It could spit out sandviches while it shoots people.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
    @topher

i think im going to model one for fun :)