Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lamp ....

Hey guys,

I'm totally new to this place, well I have looked things up here several times but never really asked the community for help since I'm kinda noob in a lot of stuff.

I made this little lamp, and I was wondering if there was any proper material for the lamp cap, I want it to let the light go truth it but I don't want it to have anything like opacity that you can see whats inside it (it may be a bit but nothing to much).

I've fooled around with some materials and I used simple gradient and this was the result:

21kl7b5.jpg

I'm sure there are better ways for doing this, so here I am asking for help.

Thank you!

Replies

• Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    You can make the lampshade a seperate model, then turn off that model for that light.
    Of course you might not want to have that model cast any shadow from that light source at all either. (the wires looks a bit odd, ususally real light diffuses close up stuff like that more)

You might need to make that material illuminated then so it looks like the light actually hits it.
  • slugheady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But if I disable casting shadows wouldn't it look a bit fake then?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I think the main issue is that your shadows are pitch black, instead place the lamp on surface and have a subtle global illumination source. The attenuation and falloff value are incredibly sharp, they should be subtle. Also, there are no frames supporting the top of your lamp?
  • slugheady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan wrote: »
    I think the main issue is that your shadows are pitch black, instead place the lamp on surface and have a subtle global illumination source. The attenuation and falloff value are incredibly sharp, they should be subtle. Also, there are no frames supporting the top of your lamp?

I've got the frames on the bottom (based on a lamp @ home).

Subtle global illumination source, could you give some more detailed information about that because I never used it before.

Thanks for your help already :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    You can just add a light up in the sky somewhere. Lights can take a long time to tweak right, good just to play around with them and see what you can do. (I've spent hours lighting simple things before)

You can also use 2 lights for your lamp. One with shadows, one without (both half bright) that'll give the shadows and diffuse them.