Pillar made in ZBrush.

aztec_pillar01.jpg

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Great start here, only a few crits

At the corners on the top where you have those sharp angles, it works fine but it looks like a seam in the high, and yet I know it's not - but what this could mean is in your low it will transfer to looking like a texture seam whether it is one or not.

On the broken out area towards the bottom where it's concave, usually the tops of those concave areas are smooth and not rocky/pointy like that, as a chunk usually cracks and falls off in a fairly smooth (but roughly textured) shape, and then that rock would have left some broken rubble from where it landed under it on the pillar, so it might look nice to add some rocks resting on the bottom of the pillar on the first level.

Finally for the last super nitpicky thing, the alpha stamps are obvious because they are reused and not changed (at least not visibly changed) most carvings won't be perfect replicas of each other as they are shown here, what would be really helpful is to have a morph target before placing the alpha, then using the morph brush to flatten out some of the areas of the alpha for a more chiseled look to it.

Can't wait to see more!
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the critique, you made good points here. I'll be changing the angles so the low res doesn't look like it has a texture seam. I'll also smooth out the top portion of the damaged area, and add some rubble on the ground. Great point with the alphas, they definitely wouldn't look the same around, and I didn't think to store a morph target before placing the alpha.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Wow someone who didn't simply defend the hell out of themselves and just took it all in without getting offensive! Awesome!!

You have restored my faith that someone can still do that these days. Even without the morph target you can use the planar flatten brush to gain a similar effect on these flat sorts of meshes, hope that helps, can't wait to see your changes!
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Critiques are helpful, haha. Thanks again.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, I've made a couple similar things in my portfolio. If you use claytubes and erase parts of the alphas then it will sell it really well. Because right now the carving looks brand new.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    You're right, you and Duck hit the nail right on the head. I'm going to distress the designs and such, making it look used.
    Serp wrote: »
    Hey, I've made a couple similar things in my portfolio. If you use claytubes and erase parts of the alphas then it will sell it really well. Because right now the carving looks brand new.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    btw, love the portfolio Serp, lots of good stuff!
  • c22dunbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c22dunbar polycounter lvl 14
    hey ajv3d,

i'm currently working on a similar subject and i strongly recommend that You use more reference. Check my graveyard photoset here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/banan.drzewo/Graves?authkey=Gv1sRgCMPZosacyKSuAQ

You might find something useful there. I've figured out a great and quick way to make realistic cracks on stone/conrete using StoreMT and Morph brush. I'll try to make a video later this evening and post it here.

The idea is to block out the basic form, unused or brand new if You will. Store the morph target. Using claytubes/clay/standard brush (any brush that can create a 'hole' ;) will do) carve in the outline of cracks. Dont worry that You dont get thin cuts with sharp edges. With the depth established, use a morph brush with rectangular alpha applied and reduce the hole to a desired shape.

tutl.jpg

later i used claytubes/noise/standard/polish to get the result above, but the crucial part is very simple and described in the picture.

hope this helps.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Those pillars look cool :) Thanks for sharing your reference and techniques c22dunbar. I am also going to do some pillars very soon so this will be very helpful. :)
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the insight c22dunbar, you made some good points too. I didn't use any reference at all when I made this, I pretty much whipped it up from scratch. I'm definitely picking up what you're putting down with the technique of using the standard brush in conjunction with storing a morph target. I usually prefer using DamienStandard with Claytubes for my cracks and damage. A video tutorial would be sweet, I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd gain insight from that. Thanks again.
    c22dunbar wrote: »
    hey ajv3d,

i'm currently working on a similar subject and i strongly recommend that You use more reference. Check my graveyard photoset here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/banan.drzewo/Graves?authkey=Gv1sRgCMPZosacyKSuAQ

You might find something useful there. I've figured out a great and quick way to make realistic cracks on stone/conrete using StoreMT and Morph brush. I'll try to make a video later this evening and post it here.

The idea is to block out the basic form, unused or brand new if You will. Store the morph target. Using claytubes/clay/standard brush (any brush that can create a 'hole' ;) will do) carve in the outline of cracks. Dont worry that You dont get thin cuts with sharp edges. With the depth established, use a morph brush with rectangular alpha applied and reduce the hole to a desired shape.

tutl.jpg

later i used claytubes/noise/standard/polish to get the result above, but the crucial part is very simple and described in the picture.

hope this helps.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Made some revisions of what you guys had mentioned, I'm also planning on adding some rubble. I'm getting kind of bored with it though ;)

aztec_pillar_revised.jpg
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great sculpting, really like the details.

Are you going to bake this into a low-poly version?
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    RexM wrote: »
    Great sculpting, really like the details.

Are you going to bake this into a low-poly version?

Thanks RexM, I'm planning on doing a low poly version, yes.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    little confused with the responses, what was the primary brush you used in this to give those nice flat edges? good work!
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    In my opinion the whole pilar looks a little bulky. I think it might look better if it was a little thinner/longer like this:

longer.jpg
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Mixeh, I used hPolish brush to get the flat edges.
  • Endfinity Jon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Hello Mr. AJV3D.

I like the adjustments you've made and the product you've ended up with.

I see you morphed before doing your alpha overlays so you could paint away a bit of the "perfection". The only bit I'd add there is taking a brush of your choosing and chipping away at some of the larger areas of the stencil, mainly the bottom icon. The edges are close to perfect, and while the morphing did a great job at fading, there's still a hint of newness there (hope that makes sense).

How did you achieve your overall rocky look? DId you use the surface drop-down to give you the results you were looking for? Some alpha drags? A brush? It looks rather tasty.

Great end product, a touch of rubble on the ground and you'd have a cool little low-poly model!
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Endfinity Jon,

Thanks for your kind words. I didn't actually store a morph target before doing the designs. I used the flatten brush to take care of the fading. You're right, I should really take care of the edge, they definitely look too perfect, it made perfect sense.

The achieved the texture of the rock by using a mix between alpha'ed brushes to sculpt in detail, spotlight, and surface noise like you had mentioned.

I definitely need to drop some rubble :)