Home Technical Talk

Normal map issue, with pics

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
Sup guys I need your help badly. Ill try to explain the problem as best as I can.

I modeled my char in 3dsmax, unwrapped it and exported it in Zbrush to start doing my high poly mesh. At that point, the unwrap was bad. While doing the normal map in zbrush I retouched the UVWs of the low poly mesh in max. ( removed his left arm and leg to optimize the UV since it was gonna be symmetrical anyway). Was gonna do a symmetry in max as soon as the normal was baked on the low poly mesh. thats a trick i got from a co worker after being done with unwrapping at first, thats why I retouched it later on.

So earlier I exported as OBJ my high poly model as well as my low poly with the definitive unwrap. I created the normal using xnormal default settings (I did a 2048 ) and thats what I got... ( last pic).
34ez1pg.jpg
330ww9y.jpg
2iuvlu8.jpg
n6tbpk.jpg

Anyone knows whats up? Ill provide additional info if I forgot anything but I think thats the jist of it.

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Francis!

I have no clue what the hell is going on! Did you collapse your Unwrap UVW stack before exporting the low poly? Did you try a reset xform? What happens when you put on a simple checker map on your low poly? Do your high poly and low-poly meshes match up? (Import your HP in max, and see if the two are placed one over the other. It almost looks like you moved your low poly in the world space, and the HP and LP meshes aren't aligned at all.

I'll see you at work tomorrow, maybe having everything in front of me will help out.
  • Shinsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Hey Francis!

I have no clue what the hell is going on! Did you collapse your Unwrap UVW stack before exporting the low poly? Did you try a reset xform? What happens when you put on a simple checker map on your low poly? Do your high poly and low-poly meshes match up? (Import your HP in max, and see if the two are placed one over the other. It almost looks like you moved your low poly in the world space, and the HP and LP meshes aren't aligned at all.

I'll see you at work tomorrow, maybe having everything in front of me will help out.

90y348.gif

sounds good!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL. You can try exporting a lower subdivision of your Zbrush mesh into max, and making sure that your LP is properly placed. Your original HP mesh may make max explode! :P

*edit*

Also! Make sure you selected your LP mesh in the Low definition section of xNormal. It's possible that you're baking your HP results onto your HP's UV's.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno about the cage, I've never used one, never needed one. My bakes always come out great. But yeah, resetting the transforms should help.