Home Technical Talk

Animation Problems, Help please?

I've been working in 3ds Max 2009 for a project for class due in two weeks.

I just skinned my model to the biped, it works just fine when I move it around. When I try to animate it, the skin stays in the last position I put it, and the bones move on in the animation.

I thought this was something I did wrong with the skinning/biped or something. I discovered it was something else when a model that works just fine started to do the same thing.

Is this some kind of bug?

I really don't know what to do, I've been posting this everywhere I can to ask about it.

Replies

• Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I don't really know how 3DS works, but in maya you can break the rig a lot of ways, mainly by trying to adjust the geometry after the rig has been skinned, sounds similar to what you're experiencing.
  • JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't think that's it. It's doing it to all of my models that were working just fine.
  • Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    When you stop playback does the skin catch up with the bones?

It might be worth posting a video of the problem so we can help debug it. It may also be worth re-installing max if it's suddenly happened to all your files without changing any of them. (although there's probably a few things to try before resorting to that)
  • JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the skin stays in the last position in the animation. I can pose the character, but I cannot animate anything.
    The bones still animate though.
  • JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the screen-shots. The first is before I animated. This would be the first frame, the second is me lifting his arm for the motion. The third is going back to the first frame where the arm stays up and the bones are back to where they were.

I've even made a more complex motion, nothing moves at all on the skin, but the bones move. The skin stays in the same pose as the last frame made.

animation_problem_by_joeybarr-d3blald.png
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you animating in "figure mode" ?
  • Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... that is really weird. Can't say I've come across that before and I have used biped in max 2009 quite a bit.

Clutching at straws here, but is there anything above the skin modifier in the stack?

edit: yea, definitely check Runner's suggestion too.
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its weird, they wont just stop working without some user interaction. I had the “Figure Mode” issue happen to me, no problem there just undo I think its pretty common to forget about it.

Also check if you did not move the mesh by accident, that produces some similar issues.
  • JoeyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart wrote: »
    Hmm... that is really weird. Can't say I've come across that before and I have used biped in max 2009 quite a bit.

Clutching at straws here, but is there anything above the skin modifier in the stack?

edit: yea, definitely check Runner's suggestion too.

Woah! I feel totally dumb about that. Well, making mistakes is part of the learning experience. ^^'
    I took the skin and put it on top of the list and it works just fine now. Thanks a bunch.

It feels like a dumb mistake, but I was told it didn't matter if you skinned or did the face rig first. Well, it matters what order they're in definitely.

Saved me a final project grade you did! :)
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you fixed it :thumbup:
  • Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff, glad we could help :)