Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

R68 train converted.

Naz
Naz
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Naz polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone, I am working on my final year film right now which is based in a Nyc Subway, this is a subway train I have converted in to an armored bulldozer type. I decided to take the model in to marmoset, this is my first time using marmo, so not fully familiar with it yet.

I need to improve my lighting, but this is how it looks like so far.

TrainBeat.jpg

TRAINWF.jpg

TRAINMAPS.jpg

Also here is the image of the original train model:
3710964390_0fb2962361.jpg

Replies

• maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello ...Cool trains are fun to do. I think you need to take better care of shaders on this model, right now textures have a "flat" feeling over the surface and dont communicate well that is a metal object. I think you'll need to work out the reflections for this.

As for the overall green, I think it is sort of washed out, and you ll probably want to make the color less uniform, maybe playing with different tones of green and make it more steady if I can say so. Also I will reduce the overall bloom.

As for the decals right now I look at them I feel you applied them with multiply blending mode, which removes the real colors and blends it with the material underneath, try better just by masking out your decal and erasing contours with some brush, then apply curves to match the rest of the texture (contrast/levels)

Also for the metal plate I think that the treadplate treads are a bit big. I am trying to be honest here I think you can pull out something really cool if you take care of a couple stuff, marmset is a great tool for displaying your stuff, so cool!
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Thanx Maze :) Thats a good crit, and yeh you are absolutely right about decals being multiplied, I will get right on it and start re texturing and thnx again for the lighting tips :) One problem that I do not understand in Marmo is when I apply the specular shader there is an option to turn specularity on, does this option refer to the specular texture that I have applied or does this create its own specular and applies it on the over all object?
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    It's a cool idea and more original than most, so props for that. For the plow itself it's very small and the shape wouldn't work quite right. I looked up snow plows and came across (magically) train snow plows, they are gigantic humongous things

snowplow.jpg

SlowPlowTrain.jpg

now i'm not saying you have to go that far as it looks a little ridiculous, but the shape here is very important, notice that all snow plows are angled to push the snow out of the way, but this kind of thing would just pile up objects in front of the train slowing it and eventually stopping it. The attachments themselves to the train are a little thin, they could use some bulking up to be able to handle the stress and weight that a train can create.

Now for the shape of it being on a subway car specifically that seems to be a problem in my mind, if you push something against the wall then that does no good...what about a ramp to push it on top of the train so it will pass over it?

Either way leave it as you will if you want but that's the glaring problem here for me - functionallity.

The green overall is definitely too strong and I agree about the decals.

Now for your actual model of the train you haven't matched the "original model" reference on the roof, it's more of a bubble and yours is pretty flat.

You're off to a good start but have a ways to go, can't wait to see more!
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Thnx for the post DDuckworht, but the front is not a snow plow, its a shovel taken from a caterpillar bulldozer and its quite small, the concept of this train is that it will be used in my final year film, and the reason it has a shovel in the front is to hit zombies and other creatures or junk blocking its way, ?(hence the blood splaters:P )
    When I was coming up with the idea of this train, I had to bare in mind that the modifications of this train had to be done with old metal bits and vents that could be found around the station and nyc. I had to keep in mind that the Chassis of the train could only support up 2 a certain size shovel and had to make room in the windows department for Hydrolics powering it.

I agree about the green and decals, update is on its way :P

Also I will be posting the original train version (before I zombified it) but need to take it in to marmoset first.

Here is a pre rendered video of the station and the original clean train going through it.

http://vimeo.com/20139360

Oh yeh the roof is a bit more bubble on the pic, I forgot to mention that there are a few versions of the R68 train, there is an R62 and a cross between the R68 that look similar apart form the front lights and the roof curving :)

Thnx for the post though and really apreciate the help:) already working on those changes so will post them up soon :P
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry I left out what I meant to state- I realize it isn't supposed to be a snowplow, but snow is very heavy and the shape is important to be able to push anything out of the way - even zombies if there are a large amount of them. But alright keep it as you will :) your video looks great so far, very clean render, but the camera seems to avoid the train too much, but I understand.
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Thnx mate :P yeh i tired to avoid the train because i wanted to show off the environment more, I will render out the trains separately in real time for my final showreel (which im trying to put together now as well as my final year film)
  • Naz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naz polycounter lvl 7
    Here is an update, I have:

-Reduced the Bloom
    _Reduced the green light
    _Fixed the Dycals
    -Tuned the Specs
    -Made the metal plate paterns much smaller

TRAIN_UPDATE.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be worth putting larger texture flats, and polycounts up?
    Definately an improvement though!