Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wall turret

Here is my small texture experiment. Wanted to make single 512*512 texture reflecting all the materials properties in it. Here is what I end up with.
wallturret.jpg

Not happy with the look actually.
Hope to get help and crits ;)

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I actually really like this :) the hand painting makes it look alot more interesting then if you were to use photo overlays. You could help it look more interesting by making that green lens glow, and then you can paint the green light reflections into the metals below it. Would also help add more of a focal point to the turret, almost as if it had eyes :)

Hope this helps! keep it up
  • Armedbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gilesruscoe: thank you, dude! That was a really great idea to glow the green eye and place some reflected light on the surfaces. I hope it look better now...

Here is a small update. Have done some pass on the big "should be white" surfaces to give them a bit more shape. Added some shadows :)

Got one idea about white thing making more interesting. Is it worth doing?
    wallturret2.jpg

Main prob for me is to arrange details contrast in such a way that all turret will look as a solid object not just a number of shitty small things. Any techniques how to do so are really welcome ;)

Here is some sort of turnable screenies
    wallturret3.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice update with the light, looks alot better now i think. Im not a huge fan of the red, maybe experiment with different hues with a bit less saturation and see how those look? the red at the moment is just very... in your face.

I dont think it looks like a number of shitty small things :P looks very compact and solid to me.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    this is cool. I've done a quick paintover to show how I think it could be improved.
    I've tightened the color palette. Added more edge highlights/scratches. Added some shadows. Made minor additions just for kicks.wallturret2_paintover.jpg
  • Armedbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you tons for your comments! Always got some new side to look from after them :)

gilesruscoe: thx, feel much stronger now knowing it look not so bad. This red was just a quick mocap and it probably should stay red as this turret is fighting against player. My red was really eye burning, hope it is better now

P442: awesome overpaint! Found so many places to tweak and polish. The main idea of the color palette tightening was perfect. As I reached almost white color on the highlights and almost black. The way too contrast.

Here is the update, looking forward to your comments. Not really happy with the detail on the side circle shape actually...
    wallturret4.jpg
  • Armedbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried a couple of times to make some sweet reflections on the white parts, like some polish surface might have. May be a car like, where varnish layer is the main reason of it.
    Something like this
    polished-smooth-surface-cast-iron-kettlebell-fr-6006.jpg

Could anybody help with an advice? Thx in advance ;)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this should help with hand painting your spec and reflections:
    speculars.jpg
    radiosity.jpg

Read more at : http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I just posted this in another thread, but I`ll post it in here too as it seems relevant :P

honstly thought I dont thing you`ll be able to achieve the reflected look you want through pure hand painting. the reflection needs to shift and move based on normal directions and camera position.

you`ll notice the reflections on that weight are pretty clear and crisp in the center, but then bunch up and get mashed up on the sides based on the way the light/reflection from the surrounding area is hitting that surface, then bouncing into the viewers eye.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    looks pretty cool. I would add a bit more blue to the gun metal to match the metal color of the mount, but that's just me.