Home Technical Talk

problem with vector displacement maps in Mudbox

i scuplted a model without ears, then found out about vector displacement maps, checked a tutorial, however instead of using a plane from mudbox i created one in max, extruded some polygons here and there and gave it a somewhat shape of the ear.

2lo69np.jpg

Took it to mudbox, sculpted the ear to my liking.

dfkd2s.jpg

i tried using a regular plane, and got the error "it must have the same topology for both the target and source". I understood, so i decided to grab the base mesh, the plane with ear i created in max. Tried to create a vector displacement map, and it worked. This was the image i received.

15rfq6r.jpg

When i press + to check the colors and everything, it looked very odd. So i anyways opened the default cube/box from mudbox and tried out the VDP on it, subdivided first of course, and i got this horrible "ear".

15nq1io.jpg

Now, i would like to point out that the tutorials always used just a plane from the top view, i mistakenly created the plane in max in the front view. I don't know if that might be the reason. If anyone can help, i would greatly appreciate it :\

Replies

• equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vector displacement maps encode the difference in position for the same uv coordinates. The uvs on your high poly ear need to be exactly the same as the low poly plane you're baking it to.
  • BTNH108464
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    equil wrote: »
    vector displacement maps encode the difference in position for the same uv coordinates. The uvs on your high poly ear need to be exactly the same as the low poly plane you're baking it to.

ohh, i see, that makes sense, thanks for the answer. So that is why in the tutorials they used plane from mudbox for the source, and the plane from mudbox again for the target. They were both planes to begin with same uv's and everything.