Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hand painted props ...learning

Here are some pics of the props for a fantasy theme, All work was done with Blender, GIMP and MYpaint in Linux.

Cartoon-Like-002.jpg

in the game engine:

Cartoon-Like-003.jpg

and

Cartoon-Like-001-1.jpg

Also I have learned to shorting my time on modeling at least twofold and how to utilize better in a 256x256 uv map, here is an example :

Hammer.jpg

it is not detailed but it is wip...

Replies

• Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    A good trick might be bake an ambient occlusion map, not to use in itself, but as a guide in photoshop of where to shade and highlight. Your textures are good, but the objects all seem a bit flat, whereas really good handpainted stuff has depth to it. A bit more attention on the wood might not go amiss either......nice tho, I like the hammer model....
  • voc007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game engine does have ao in it, but I can bake it into my uv texture, I will give it a shot, thank you for your suggestion..
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Heya, these all look ok so far, but somethings you can change:
    Your Bench(?) has dark edges, when really they should be highlighted, even if its meant to look worn, the fresh wood inside the plank would be lighter then the outside as it hasn't any dirt on it. So lighten up those edges! The same goes for the stone blocks supporting it.

Also, don't be afraid to paint some spec onto your objects, the metal for example, around all those little dents you can put a light grey/white spec.

I think your barrels also need a more contrasted grain, it doesnt read well from far away (just looks light orange with no details).

Hope this helps, look forward to seeing more!
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, your colors are really saturated. I have been learning hand painting too and this color tutorial on deviantart helped me understand a little better what colors to pick for projects and how they should relate to each other. I'm still working on it.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=how+I+see+color#/d31xj5t
  • voc007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gliesruscoe : I will try different ways of adding specular to the metal and other objects. Thank you for your suggestions.

@Shaffer: Yeah, they may be a bit saturated, but I want them to be a bit colorful, I will tone them down, and read the color theory based on your link, thank you.