Home Unreal Engine

UDK march release and tesselation problem

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
Is there anyone who managed to play with the tesselation feature in the UDK released this month?

My problem is that when I activate the tesselation mode, as soon as I open the material editor, the UDK Editor crash.
So right now the only way I can play around is set the tesselation mode to NoTessellation, set my parameters in the material, close UDK, recompile the material script with the Tesselation mode set to Flattesselation or PnTriangles, relaunch the edit (which takes ages with the recompilation of the materials) and seee my result.

Anyone else got this problem?

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Like I have read on the UDK forum, moderator says that the material editor is bugged with the tesselation. (You need to activate the "tesselation" option in the November beta and then open your material in the march beta.)
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm well ok, I dont really understand how i could activate in the november build to check my material in the march build (as it recompilate all the shader anyway), but I guess i can search for a workaround in this direction. Thanks ~
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    just wait till next months release, this march release was a bit rushed buggy.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess that's what I'm going to do, I just wanted to play around to see the possibilities~
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    posted by Legend286 on the UDK forum :) seems to be making progress over there

wrappingtessellation.png
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    From Wallomedia10 on UDK forums
    You dont need to use the november version to use dx11 features you just have to edit Material.uc in "Development\Src\Engine\Classes". Open it search for D3D11 and delete every phrase that says :"<bShowOnlyWhenTrue=bShowD3D11Properties>" then save, compile and your done. When you a open a material in the material editor you will see that there is a Directx 11 Section where you can enable tesselation subsurface scatering etc.. Its a bug, because it looks like that udk doesnt check if your hardware is capable of dx11 and hides the settings. Have fun playing with dx11 features X

I'm crushed because you can't use vertex colors in conjunction with the world displacement... Balls.
  • Legend286
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Legend286 polycounter lvl 9
    TDub wrote: »
    posted by Legend286 on the UDK forum :) seems to be making progress over there

wrappingtessellation.png

Yeah, I managed to get it to work properly, it shouldn't of tessellated on the x axis to begin with really... Epic should fix that.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna try that tonight ! thanks~
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    just gave it a try. this is AMAZING! i was speechless when i saw it.

tessellation-test.jpg

EDIT:

just tested with a vertex shader. even though its all receiving the heightmap from the bricks.. i think it still looks ok. for something dirty like this it works, but i guess if you were painting snow or water, the heightmap may stick out a bit more.

grass.jpg