Home Technical Talk

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO LIGHT A CHARACTER WITH V RAY OR ANYTHING!!! Please help.

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Hey everyone i always see these great renders, of final characters done in these competitions, and i have no idea how to get that. Even a simple 3 point light always comes out wring. I know alot of paint over goes into it aswell, but any tutorials or step by steps anyone may have would be great. I'm not very technical but more an artists but yes i know how to use max and Photoshop. Any other programs, renderers would greatly be appreciated thanks!:poly121:

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Check this link out... Should lead you to a lot of great tutorials on lighting in renderers such as Mental Ray... since it is built into max.

Lighting something is going to be way more complex than just a 3 point setup. You have to have a really great understanding on materials, lights, and rendering out multiple passes. So creating a thread asking people to give you step by step tutorials on how to light a character. Start with that link and look up stuff on rendering in mental ray. Gnomon Workshop also has some good stuff on rendering in Mental Ray.

Hope that helped a little bit.. :/
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    You need more caps and exclamation marks in your topic to get good replies...

You should look into real time shading solutions if you're aiming for the kind of finish game art competition submissions usually have. Like marmoset or some custom real time shaders for your favorite 3D software. There's a sticky marmoset link in this sub-forum.