Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

judge cadet character

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
evening, I think that I'm at an end with this character, learned a lot as always, esp on the rigging front. She's based on a concept by a Lecturer of mine, but I'm not at liberty to show it i'm afraid.

crits, comments, hate mail all apriciated :D

cadet+presentation+two.jpg

cadet+presentation+one.jpg

thanks for looking

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Nice job man, i like your textures.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    looks really solid! I think the colors are a bit bland though. Maybe you could color some of the pads a bit differently.

paintova.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Sort of agree. The olive-drab yellow seams are nice, but the green makes it too busy. How about several types of grey/black (for instance leather, rubber, kevlar) for some subtle variation?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    It needs some red.
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work!

Kinda reminds me of Judge Dredd characters but with khaki colours (the cadets/rookies in the Judge Dredd comic have white helmets and larger pads).

I have to agree with the other guys on this. The colours of the helmet and visor could do with having more contrast, being different colours.

Good work though!
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it a LOT. Nice textures, and pose is working really well for me, back view pose looks ace, subtle. Really, good work.

Also tell your lecturer that concept design is pretty rad, and also a bit 2010A.D. which is not bad thing at all.

Sounds like one of them good establishments. Keep at.
  • Kip McSkipster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kip McSkipster polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice pose, texturing - her arms, though, are too short, and waist could be a little higher (or hips a little wider?).
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey folks,

Thanks very much for the crits, I think that they will all be acted upon....the helmet was really rushed out just to hit a date I needed her for (had to hit a deadline is probably the "dog ate it" excuse of the CG world but i'm sticking to it ) so it will be either revised or scrapped.

Alberto Rdrgz : thank you very much!

daphz : thanks for the paintover man, earlier versions of the texture had coloured panels, but I dropped them....mistake huh? I will look at throwing something on them again after this I think

Snader : that is the other option beyond painting in the panels, my material definition is really weak at the moment, maybe I should change the colour and swap out a different material just to drive it home.

greevar : her socks are a deep burgandy, honest :D

salacious_Crumb Thanks man, yeah, the colours reall need swapping up, I was trying to diferentiate areas through spec and material, but my surfacing skills just arent there yet.

WillMac : Thanks man, yeah he was quite a talent but I'm not sure he's there any more, Leavon Archer is the guys name.

Kip McSkipster : you are not the first person to mention the arms, I figured that they were about right when she is resting arms by sides, but it cant hurt to transpose them from the T-pose and check can it, i will get onto that todat, cheers man :)

I was at the Blitz studios open day yesterday so i got extra feedback from several of their character guys ( thanks again Chris, Del, and Jolyon) so all in I have a busy weekend then :)