Home Technical Talk

UDK March Update

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sythen polycounter lvl 10
So for all of you who haven't seen the new Samaritan Tech Demo of the new dubbed 'Unreal Engine 3.975' You need to check this out:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgS67BwPfFY&hd=1[/ame]

However it has only come to my conclusion that UDK not only now supports Direct X 11, but also supports all the new features and kick ass graphics capabilities in the video overhead.

"Important DirectX features now shipping with UDK include:

Tessellation and displacement;
Geometry shaders;
Multisampled textures; and
Shader Model 5.

High-end rendering features include:

Image-based reflections that allow surfaces of any shape to reflect an approximate version of scenes, with varying glossiness across surfaces, anisotropic HDR highlights and anti-aliasing;
Subsurface scattering (SSS) that simulates the light that scatters inside semi-translucent materials, making character skin come alive;
Anti-aliased masked materials that super sample the edges of masked and alpha-tested materials, making character hair more look realistic than ever before;
Deferred rendering with MSAA support;
Bokeh depth of field providing close to film-quality DOF, with artist-controllable Bokeh; and
High-quality dynamic shadows from many lights on the environment, such as shadows for point lights and other light sources.
NVIDIA’s APEX technology has also been integrated into the engine and ships with UDK."

Check it out guys, Finally we have a UDK that is officially better than any other engine I have ever seen.

http://udk.com/news-beta-mar2011.html

- Sythen.

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Can you cut into terrain to make a cave? or is it still all height map based?

also, perlin noise is great!
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Impressive.

So they claim that demo is entirely real-time, huh? What rig are they running it on - WATSON?

Doubt many PCs will be able to crank out this definition and framerate at the moment, but a nice preview of what PC gaming will look like in a few years. In my experience the film quality depth of field murders the hell out of the frames on my machine, even if I am cranking out 50-60 without it. It easily eats 90% of my framerate. Is the Bokeh DOF supposed to be better or more efficient that the DOF they introduced in the 2010 December beta?
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Bokeh is way more taxing because it take way more samples.

but they said they optimized many other things. also, differed rending is a beast!!! 50 dynamic lights in a scene. think of the things an artist can do!!!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    So they claim that demo is entirely real-time, huh? What rig are they running it on - WATSON?

three gtx-580's iirc
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Marine wrote: »
    three gtx-580's iirc

Oh, I guess that, coupled with the 20 GB RAM workstations Epic's artists use, are what make this possible.

Totally a standard rig. :poly131:

It's cool that we can render stuff like this in real time now, regardless of the machine required, but isn't it bit of a false representation of what is currently available for games with the engine?

Which company is going to put out a PC game that requires 20 GB of RAM and 3 GTX-580s and dual quad-core processors? Crysis made enough people cry when it was released!

That said, I am excited about all the new features, just not sure how practical they are at the moment. I guess Epic is just future-proofing the engine though.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    I'm assuming that the Realtime demo is working on the UDK's recommended requirements. Although they have said it was on three SLI Nvidia gtx-580's apparently. Was definitely three cards anyway.

Bokeh from what I've been using today in the new UDK March Update, essentially overlay's a texture over where the DOF has been applied. It's more taxing but not by much.

Bokeh also is a heavily improved DOF System. The original had a few problems when blurring specific items that were close to the screen, and Bokeh acts a lot more like the lens of a real film camera.

Also unforunately unless you have a DirectX 11 graphics card, you probably won't see a lot of these features on you're assets or level designs =/

I honestly don't think it's false representation. You have to think that this Unreal Engine 3.975 is also used for Console gaming, and most people who are very serious about game development or attempting to get into the industry have these requirements already. Besides, Epic were using these at the highest possible requirements. I'm assuming the same can be run on a single GT 580 and 4GBs+ Ram.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know the extent of the tablet implementation that they did? Apparently there's pressure sensitivity for terrain sculpting, but it seems kinda pointless unless they put in UI adjustments for tablets as well. Right now my tablet handles the same way as it did in previous versions and it's impossible to navigate with the sensitivity jacked way up.

Is there a configuration tweak that you need to enable or something?