Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Hey everyone!
I don't post here very often- but I've been around. Decided to finally post something. It's a high-poly model, plainly, of an old Rolls-Royce silver ghost. Because of the nature of the car, it's very hard to find a car that is exactly the same as the blueprints, but so far I haven't had much trouble working from the blueprints, and finding images of parts of other Silver-Ghosts that I can use to make things clearer in my mind while modeling.
Anyway, I'll update pretty regularly. Just getting started on the front-end.
sofarx.jpg

Here are the blueprints I'm using:
http://carblueprints.info/blueprints/rolls-royce/rolls-royce-40-50-silver-ghost-1913.png

And here are some pseudo-references:
ax201_400.JPG
1926_rolls-royce_silver_ghost-pic-40794.jpeg
sg-43w.jpg

Let me know how I can improve it, if you will. I'll post a wireframe very soon.

Replies

• easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I would do a block-out first to get the proportions before adding any detail, it will help with scale no end. The tyres already look too thick for example.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    I don't think his tires are too thick - it looks like the everything else is too narrow - though I guess either of those things can be true. I would still fix everything else instead of the tires though, since they have the most parts and detail so far.

easterislandnick's statement is proven, however, you need a block-in.

The first reference photo seems off from the blueprints - like it has wider side fenders, bigger side lamps, different style hood/windshield shape where they meet, etc. Different model, or just tricked out a lucky owner at some point in the past?

Beautiful car - nice choice for a project.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Hm, ok, I see what you two are saying. The wheels are a bit wide - that was a conscious choice based off of some reference. A lot of the reference I could find had thicker tires - and though it contradicted the blueprints, I thought, "why not?!"

As for the rest of it being too thin- well, it matches up with the image-plane:
    meehaaaa.jpg

So, perhaps it is just an illusion, or something, as a result of most of the body still missing? I'm really unsure. I'll go ahead and block the rest in soon to test that.

As for the reference being different from the blueprints - well, yes. Truth be told, I can hardly find any two silver Ghosts that look completely similar. It's odd. Not sure if it's just people tricking out their old cars, or if, because they were custom made, people had choices when they were being built. Regardless, I am mainly modeling from the blueprints, while taking information from the things I like in pictures; so it shouldn't be an issue. It is odd, though, not being able to find two that look the same.
    In fact, the only 3D "picture" I could find of something that almost completely matches the blueprints is this drawing:
    http://www.airportjournals.com/Photos/0510/X/0510014_7.jpg

As a result, I look at it often when I get confused. I have a whole folder of references, in addition.

Anyway, I'll post a blockout in the next few days, in between school work.