Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I mostly sculpt out at night... mostly

Howdy PolyCount OG's.

Ive been watching this place for years, YEARS, and recently... months ago, I was told by a couple guys who for their own current safety will not be named, but who do work at Terminal Reality, that I needed to post here. I did get a post in near the new years, but since then I've been sort of distracted at work, but who hasn't?

Right now I cant post anything I do for work, or anything I've shown anyone else to remain incognito, but I can post some newer random sculpts. I'm trying to learn anatomy more, but also just learning to work from primitive forms as well.

FFFFFFFFFF2.jpg
MonsterThangCrop.jpg
clown.jpg
moustache.jpg
Wartortle.jpg
wartortlehead.jpg
mancrowheadwip.jpg
roundheadwip1.jpg
longfacewip.jpg

I realy enjoy doing quick faces in sculptris, but since I have my own copy of zbrush I've been fooling around with it constantly; still don't know how to properly manage ram on it though :P

What REALLY sucks at the moment, aside from not showing any of the other work, is I come up with some mental method to how I can create faces or features... and a week later I forget what it was. Its been a really big put-off for months now, if not years...

I'd love to hear some honest critiques on the forms and methods seen here, tips on detail consistency, processes for construction of features, I'm dying for some actual direct and skilled knowledge.

And I know, random people post here and ask for their stuff to be "Ripped apart" and then fight back when the comments come, I've seen it and I promise I'm really here to learn and share.

Also, because I consider this one of the main places of influence for me since I started doing low poly art and digital sculpting, I'd like to do battle in DomWarV under the Poly Count flag, I didn't know if there was some official/unofficial sort of system for that, but I would be honored to do so.

Again, thank you for anyone who even browses this, I hope Photobucket holds up, I don't have an official site, and I don't know jack about setting up a real one for streaming work... gotta do some searching, so I apologize in advance when it inevitably keels over, but thank you.

Replies

• WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Dude i will effing slay you in Dominance War V". :smokin:

Unless you gonna slay me first! :) Is a lot of fun, i did the warm up... and got slain!

What are your aims with all this sculpting at night, like newt?
    Do you uv map and texture, as games models is trickier than sculpting alone.

I really like the top sculpt, very cool expression.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    The 2nd Sculpt is a fav of mine, how did you manage to get a hole in the mesh when sculpting from a plane?

The horns on this model seem to be floating, they could stand to be pushed into the head mesh so that they look more like one.

The other forms I really don't have any crits on, the seams keep showing up for some reason, maybe just try to smooth that out some, but it's not really important for these kinds of quick sculpts.

Great stuff, the penguin is another fav of mine!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Glad you joined up the Polycount side!! From looking at what you can do, I'm impressed you got some excellent sculpting skills, so it's kinda hard to tear it up. You will cetainly be strong asset to the polycount team.

for crits:
    If you want to improve, I'd say push your sculpting to a more realistic side of things, it doesn't have to be photorealistic but aim for a higher detail level. AKA Brink. Study skin damage, subtle color tones...go out of your comfort zone...you rock at the important features so now go on and put more details to support those features

I don't know if you've been at zbc recently but this is some sculpting to study http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=104272

looking foward to see more of your work.

Keep rocking.

Wizo
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Aliens/esque quote :p
    Love your first pic :D
  • PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy cow I got responses and didn't know!

BadgerBaiter-
    Thanks man! I remember doing it as a test on how fast I could whip out a head from a plane... but I cant remember what spurred that on.

Wizo - Thanks so much for the encouragement, and yeah, real people are so much harder than random aliens and stuff most of the time. You see people all day, but damn-it if they aren't damn hard to reproduce. Honestly I do have some, but I cant post them at the moment :/ only in private. oh god, those shots for Uncharted, I love them so much i wish I knew peoples pipelines for this stuff. I sort of throw my stuff together from what I can gather, thanks for the reminder!

DDuckworth
    - There's no hole at least I don't.... Nope! no hole. Its just the angle of the render, :D glad you like it, I really need to maybe not make so many unfinished sketches and go back and add to these previous ones.. though Man-Crow is sort of on-going at the moment, but off to the side due to work.

WillMac - D: don't hurt me! I'm frail, and weak, and new to the whole brutal world of online game character competitions. I sculpt at night because it takes a wile to drive home :P I end up getting about... 5 hours of sleep max? I do uv map, though you're right that none of this shows any of it. On my personal stuff Im just sort of doodling a lot, I want to make a complete work in my spare time instead of just at work.

Thats my goal I guess, I want to make finished work. Wile i hear some studios like seeing a persons enthusiasm to continue doing art on their own outside the office, without any solid personal work to show off a complete skill-set its kind of hard to expect professionals to really take me completely serious, right?

Anyway! UPDATE! ... more unfinished.. well.. Im calling him Mr.Bubbles right now. I would love some suggestions on how to adress the issue of clothing on a guy like this... and the hands kept coming out as a complete failure so far :(
    MrBubbles_Wip_Stuck.jpg

Suggestions anyone?
  • PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick post on some new doodle(s) over the weekend.

This was just a quick full body test, I still have massive trouble with hands and feet.. along with general anatomy, and I continuously forget to make the mouth with a cavity so i can pose the lips :/

MrPointyWipCL.jpg
    MrPointyFullWip.jpg
    MPointyBackFulWip.jpg

Clothing is also an issue for me.. anyone know of some bulky character refrences for this kind of thing? Im constantly drawing blanks, I'll be honest, I dont do a lot of brainstorming on these things, I just sort of jump right into it and figure out what im making as I go along.

On that note, anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle that kind of issue? Interesting books on creative thinking and or planning pieces?

And heres "the 'good' doctor".. just a doodle.

thegooddoctorwip.jpg

Just realised he might be a good base for a Davros ...

I dunno guys, I may end up not completing a lot of stuff, maybe I should request a move to sketchbook if I keep posting scatterbrained updates. But I realy do want crits to help me rethink what im doing with these and move along.
  • PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I went a bit derpy in the brain.
    derp.jpg

Yeah... I should have used actual spheres for eyes and geometry for teeth.

I cant figure out what Im going to do for domwar, or Brawl... its driving me nuts. For a wile I couldnt realy construct a face right either, chock that up to reusing old models instead of starting from scratch.