I am making an "Orientalist" inspired harem guard

HW2NF.jpg

dAY2T.jpg

Replies

• bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a8InJ.jpg

updated the head, sculptured based on peter mensah likeness.
  • bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update to body, work on fabric started.

SVmUW.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man you've got some good stuff going here, I think around his eyes needs the most work, they seem a little small to me overall, the photo you have the guy is squinting making his eyes smaller, which is fine but you also need to add in the eye bags and the area above the eye with the crease to create that squinting effect, the recess above his eye isn't deep enough and under his eye is completely flat.

If you don't want him squinting find some ref's of people who aren't and go for that look more.

You've got the nose and lips pretty spot on, I would flatten the nose a little more and widen the nostrils slightly to get it a little closer to your ref, but still you have the basic shapes and forms there for sure. Your ref's ears stick out towards the top where you have yours flat. I know you may not be going for a spot on likeness but in case you are I wanted to be sure to not leave that out.

Now this part is a big disclaimer: I AM NOT A CHARACTER ARTIST hahaha but for the muscles on the back you look like you have the correct form but the dent's below the shoulders seem too deep to me, you really don't see dents like that on backs.

The feet need a ton of work but they look like you haven't started on them so I won't go into depth on that.

Keep posting, would love to see this progress!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    The eyes look tiny to me but that might just be me =), Right now I feel like the hands and the wrists need work, they look a bit too big to me. Looks like you haven't started on the feet yet. Good work so far though, looking forward to some more progress!
  • bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WJGWM.jpg

updates
    started fabric
    hands hidden because they look retarded/
    thanks for the crits so far, I am working on the faults now.
  • bujuman
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Hey the sculpting looks really good, nothing major that I can pick up on anyway. The feet could be a concern, there doesn't seem to be much height to them
  • bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates
    added sword, referenced fabric more.
    rlhpE.jpg
    paint over

t0CsC.jpg
    model currently
  • bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eTGXO.jpg
    I have started texturing this is a paint over of an orthographic render in zbrush.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    nice start on the texture, his face seems a little squished in the center (like shrunk into the middle of his face or something) and he has some odd wavyness in his forehead. I would have mentioned earlier but it didn't stand out until you put up the textured shot. maybe if you extend his eyebrows a little bit it would help fill out his face a little better. keep it up!
  • Bad Spleen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    nice start on the texture, his face seems a little squished in the center (like shrunk into the middle of his face or something)

Orthographic views tend to look like that. Try showing perspective vies in WiP so people can get a better idea of how it is looking.

The texture looks great by the way, assuming it still holds up in perspective ;)
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    He is looking nice so far, my only complain is about his clothes. The folds looks to random, looks like clay. Try to get some extra reference and give them a more "fluid" look if that makes sense. :)
  • bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry about that, yeah it was an orthographic render I painted over.

this is what it looks like in perspective.
    UM90r.jpg

and this is what it looks like projected onto the lowpoly
    JRqjH.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    The high res textures look amazing, make me sad that all that detail is lost when you project it onto the low poly. What does your UV layout look like? Maybe there's some way you could maximize the head UVs so that not as much detail is lost.

Other than that, my only critique is the eyes are way too small, lengthwise. The head proportions look right but the shape is a bit off when compared to the actor. I don't know his name, but I've seen him in Spartacus. And the angles of his face are a lot more prominent than what you've got.

Oh yeah, and this:

feeedback.jpg
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    really liking the texture you have there. how did you go about it?
  • bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback so far :)
    i was only going for a rough likeness its my first character and ive spent most of my time geting used to the tools all the faults I have taken into account and ill try and make it better.

@ illusive
    for texturing I have used some 3dsk photographs and have projected them onto the high-poly mesh in z brush using "spot light"
    and veiwport canvas for projection on to the lowpoly.

LfVW4.jpg

@ pangarang
    thanks for the comments
    this is an image of my texture map so far, its going to be 1x 2048 for all the maps including the weapons.

NAC0i.jpg
  • bujuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates//
    eYt39.jpg

OfgQZ.jpg

eyes are really to small ill recertify; this is the model currently.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Good Job! im working on my first charachter either! looks really nice with the texture ,keep going!