Home Technical Talk

Help! restoring uvmaps

hi guys,

i've been working on some content which use a hacked together script which imports model data from a game's files for use in max. the changes i'm trying to make are relatively minor, the main purpose is to combine it with a separate model.

to give some context, i've imported a variant of a tank which forgoes the turret for carrying troops, and i'm editing it to restore the turret.

blurb out of the way, here's the meat of the problem -

the script is inconsistent with its importation of uvmaps, on one mesh - the 'main one' - the uvmap is lost:
27431345.jpg

on another, the 'wrecked' mesh, the uvmap is preserved:
44401881.jpg

now, both of these meshes use identical texture maps - the wrecked mesh is simply the original mesh deformed slightly and the texture is simply a 'recolour', so to speak.

now, i read around a bit and tried the 'projection' modifier in the hope i could copy the working uvmap to the broken mesh. while closer, the results are still unusable:
37676429.jpg

i was wondering whether any of the boffins here might be able to assist?

entirely remaking the uvmap isn't really an option - for one its beyond my capabilities, i'm primarily a coder, and i'm using a trial version of a ancient version of max as that's the only one the script will work with.

the other thing is there is already a perfectly good texture to use with the mesh, its just trying to get it to apply properly that's the problem

thanks