Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Distillery

Hello there! My name is Long, but people call me Long.
I have been working on my first UDK map and here is the result. Well it's not finished yet.
The stuff i have left are:

-Dirtmap on the walls and the ground.
-All the props have the same error, as you can see its like the corners are having some sort of shading error. Any ideas on what could cause this?
-Light errors on some props, this happend when i removed all my spotlights and exchanged them to emissive lighting from the lamps.
-The flags get the error "SkeletalMeshActor casts shadow but has no PhysicsAsset assigned. The shadow will be low res and inefficient."
I tried adding a physicasset but i'm getting stumped here. Gonna watch the physic tutorial at udk's website to see if that makes me any smarter.
-Windows, they don't look right. Going to remove normals and fix the reflection.
-The sky, more stars! Make it look even more nightly.
-Going to add a particle fire inside my diesel barrel.
-The single door, needs rebuilding. Normals/Spec is way off.
-The decals, they are unlit so thats why they stick out like a sore thumb.
I have tried different shaders but i can't get them to look pretty. Any ideas?
-Postprocessing... it feels unfinished but it is starting to feel like im getting to a point were i just need to stop fiddling.

I was thinking of adding more props like a fire escape, a bench and cables between the buildings.
But iunno...it feels like it will become clutterd if i add more props. especially on the ground. Critiqu

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    cool reminds me of the old Keith's brewery in halifax
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    To add to your list, you should break up the stone on the street. Grime, puddles, dirt, all kinds of things for you to break up the texture. Because right now it stands out a lot and distracts your eye from the rest of the scene. Good work tho, i am looking fwd to seeing this with the rest of your notes.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I like it, but the window frames are a bit unproportional or not straight, they seem wiggly. I may be wrong because I am really tired, but other then that its awesome.
  • Silver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call of Cthulhu world.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looks awesome.. looks like its straight from the distillery district in Toronto.

Small crit. I think you need to take a second look at the proportions of your lights. The street light feels too short and fat.

Other than that, I think you need to work on the lighting a bit. The lighting right now is rather flat, with little to no shadows. Try and really nail the time of day your looking to portray - which by the looks of it is dusk, or late night.

Hope that helps a bit, very cool scene.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back now after a nice little format of the C: \...cleanse the unpure and all that.

@glottis8: mhmm, i have added mossy mask now. But im not quite happy about it. Gonna take a crack at it tomorrow.

@brandoom: Thanks ye the brewery in toronto was my main source of inspiration. Also that's why there are canadian flags in the scene ;)
    Ye you are right, it looks alot better now with thinner and longer streetlights. Thanks for noticing.
    Gonna do an iteration of the window tomorrow.

So here it is update 0.1
    Distillery_3.jpg
    Distillery_4.jpg

Goodnight and thanks for reading
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I like it. Glad you added lighting. Now I think you should take the lighting out and relight it again. If it's a night scene it's too bright and the lights are really bloomy. I kind of like the bloomy lights, just tone it down some. Take the blend mask you put on the ground and apply that same idea to the buildings. I do wonder, did you just do a mask texture or did you vert paint it?
  • morphoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morphoz polycounter lvl 8
    Great work man !
    If you want you, can break repetitive aspect of bricks with vertexpaint and texture blend like [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UNpThobAkY"]this[/ame]
    There is a great tutorial here.
    i hope it can help ;p
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rurouni Strife: I only used a mask texture, i have it on the building too but it don't show that much on the pictures. So i bumped it up now for the latest update.

@morphoz: Ye i have been looking at his website alot, thanks for linking. ; )

So update, my personal deadline is today so i have only been doing finetuning. I also been trying to fix my errors, the ones i have left are
    - Still lighterrors, it's like some props use the same lightmap but they are on diffrent locations.
    -Decals, idunno if there is a fix for this. But too make them so that they are included in the lights. Atm they are unlit but i have tried phong and transcluscent. I'm gonna google around and see if anyone else have the same problem...

Distillery_5.jpg
    Distillery_6.jpg
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked how much more color you had in your other pics, and that moon is blurry and looks photoshoped.

EDIT: your lights need fall off and to light the scene appropriately. AB22220.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=A5C9C13351D9C3B7CF9666E0F0196AABCE3A493847F74D6F4F50321ACC7A8777SuperStock_1663R-9231.jpg
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I think the pavement edge is popping out a bit. Try putting some grime where the pavement meets the floor.

Maybe the white stone texture you have on the pillars is too large or blurry?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Very nice :) I like it a lot!
  • Hypnoticat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking pretty good, but there're few things, that could bring your work closer to perfection.
    It was already noticed, that it is a night scene, but it still looks way too bright to be. :) Looks like a sunrise right now, may be you could make it darker. Add some blue skylight. Yeah, moon looks like a piece of butter, melting on the pan, you definitely should make it look sharper and more interesting... And some clouds could help you to add some mood too (some fog, if needed).
    Some pipes in the background could emit some smoke, many factories work in the night shift. I guess, that there's no need to illuminate lifeless factory, so adding some life could be sweet: some lightning in few windows, may be add some rooms inside buildings (behind the opened windows, not too detailed, of course), you know... Roll door (damn, how is it called in English? :-D ), that with seven on it, could be half-opened to show some interior, for example. Add life.
    That void on the right in 2nd screen reminds good old days spent with games in mid 90th. Do you remember that clipping?.. :) I hope, you'll find a way to drive that oppressive feeling away by adding some stuff there.
    There's a felling, that you try to add some disorder in your scene, but it still looks too clean and comfortable.

Some more:
    curbstones could have some more gaps, and some variations;
    corners of the buildings could use some bevels;
    surfaces are too plain, I think;
    some of the lamps could use more yellow and weak light, with simulation of they are running out of resource (well, smaller corona, red filament and stuff).
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yes last color adjust is best

agree with all of hypnotic's, cept the surfaces' plainness is a result of not having bumps, i reckon.

also - add the 'light around the corner', and consider illuminating some windows too
  • Braddish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The environment looks like its coming along nicely. The sky is off though, and hurting the scene.
    I would take the moon right out, you dont need it. You have lights on the streets, use those to guide the eye, the moon is distracting right now.
    I really like the shots that have the pinkish purple hue in the sky. I would do that all around for your shots. It gives a nice feel and better colour composition.

I like the second shot in your first post. It has more of that purple in the sky and has a warmer feel overall.

Also, get some newspapers and garbage on the street, make it feel more lived in.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Its looking very good to me! It has a lot of straight edges, something I think is hard to get away from without a lot of pre-planning of damage, natural edges etc.. On the whole an excellent Environment.
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @glottis8: Thanks for the pics, ye my moon was just a placeholder there to see if i could get away with having a moon...which i didnt. : P

@serp: Added grime/dirt to it, but because the ground has a displacement map it is gonna look like it pops out. I will fiddle around with it but atm i don't have an clue to fix it more then i have.

@Hypnoticat: I have toned down the brightness, but as you can see i lose more and more of my shadows. I'm gonna try making them darker without adding to the brightness. As for the skydome, i have removed the moon now, but at this stage i feel like it's more of a sunrise/sundown due to the brightness around the edges. Gonna tone them down when i wake up tomorrow.
    I tried adding a particle emitter, but it seems to abruptly stop when it has the skydome as a background. I'm in the midst of figuring this one out (SPDG thing?)
    About the rollup doors, ye i can add another door that is a bit open. It will be in the next update.
    The clipping..ah yes..well humm..cough...i got stumped when i built it the first time, but now a wall! ;D (Also i'm gonna add pipes on the green wall, like i have on the left)
    The plainess, hmmh..i can redo the brick normal map. I saw a great tut at philipk's site that had some nice variations.
    The lamps, ye i can make some of them seem like they are running out of juice. But i don't know how the emissive will be effected, because atm i'm using the emissive as lighting, shure i can remove that from those that are broken..hmm...i'll fiddle around and see what i come up with.

@BigErn: I can make a piece that has broken/removed bricks, but i don't know how good it will look because it will not have it's own normalmap/occ. I can do a test and see...

The windows are just a test for the emissive interior.
    And the glowing barrel, i brought it back because..well if im gonna do a smoke particle i can do a fire particle to!

Sidenote: The brightness, it's wierd..im looking at the picture in the preview tool vs chrome. And chrome is making it alot brighter : S
    Prolly just a setting on my end, but still...annoying.
    But here i am babbeling, when you wanna se pics!

Thanks for all the input!

Distillery_7.jpg
    Distillery_8.jpg
  • Hypnoticat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never penetrated into UDK by myself (may be I'll try, it's looking quite interesting), so can't advise anything about emitters, except that they should be in scene for some aesthetic reasons...

Are those barrels on fire? This trouble should be caused by the rage of distillery workers gone on strike...

Finally some lamps are gone, and that's pretty nice, because they didn't make sense. Many things still have too many clones, for instance, manholes driving mad. Dunno if there are to many of them, but they could be at least more detailed or stick up less. Hm...

Why not to make sunrise\sunset, by the way? Here's lame daub:

3151jed.jpg
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So update time!
    I have been trying my hand on diffrent solutions in the material editor and playing around with materialinstaces.
    Doing alot of work with lights to get the mood straight, in this update i'm not there mostly due the red light. It is extremly strong and bleeds all over the scene.
    Going to add more dirt and garbage.

@hypnoticat: UDK is alot o fun, much to learn but very friendly engine. The barrels are on fire, when i get a fire particle in there. They are mostly there to give warmth for the homeless.
    Ye the manholes, i have had my thoughts about them too...gonna see what a decal will do instead.
    Well my original idea was a nightshot and i aint giving up on it, mostly because i want to learn how a nightscene could be setup in UDK and how hard it will be to do it.

Distillery_9.jpg
    Distillery_10.jpg
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor suggestion, just to give some bevel love to the pillars. The hard edges cutting the image in half is screaming low poly right now.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    over all i like this. Is there a reason why one of the lights is orange? if it was dimmer it should be dimmer. Some of the posters look really white and throws off the feel of the scene.

I think the fall off of your lights could be more subtle. But i like where it's going. Add some light smoke from the barrels, if they are on fire. Really good work man, lots of improvement!
  • StealthSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When is this scene supposed to be set? Keep in mind that the Maple Leaf flag only came into use in 1965!
  • Longchank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @popngear: mhmmh, many have said that i need to bevel it....so now i did, and i glad i did. But the thing is that brick buildings doesn't have a bevel. Well..okay i will use my old teachers mantra "There is no such thing as a 90 degree angle" ; ) Because now it looks alot better with the bevel.

@glottis8: The orange was just because i quickly added it but i did not tweak it in that picture, mostly due to the fact it was four in the mornin.
    The posters i have been struggeling with for awhile, so now i just did a dirty fix in photoshop.

@StealthSilver: Oh shi! Thanks, my canadian history is...non existant, maybe should have thought of that before i created a scene based on prohobition era canadian distillery. So now it's changed to The Red Ensign, which was used between 1927-1957..if wikipedia is correct.

So today update:
    The fire, not mine. It is udk's. I'm having a bit of a rumble with the particle editor. But i will be victourious in the end!
    Thinking of beveling around the windows as well, tried various iterations and at the moment they all kinda suck when i do that.
    Getting a shadow from the flags, i think the solution is that i dont have a physicasset assigned to the skeletalmesh. Must fix this.

Distillery_11.jpg
    Distillery_12.jpg
  • REDXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Think you need to tone down the cubemap you're using for your reflections. Besides that liking it. Maybe some silhouettes of buildings in the back?
  • Hypnoticat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Longchank wrote: »
    Well my original idea was a nightshot and i aint giving up on it, mostly because i want to learn how a nightscene could be setup in UDK and how hard it will be to do it.
    Aha, nobody would argue about it, that's your right to make scene the way you want it to be done. How far has it gone, by the way?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    for the night shot the ambient lighting should be cooler, and the lamps need to be warmer.
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far, though I'd like to point out that your Canadian flag is backwards, for example: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Casa_Loma_July_2010_23_%28Canadian_Red_Ensign,_Great_Hall%29.JPG. Both sides should be a mirror image of each other.
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall it looks pretty sweet. I feel that the road could use some more love, but mainly, I think the sidewalk could be better integrated if there was some trim/drainage stuff along the ground/curb.

Bulb%20Curb%201.jpg

The sidewalks also seem kinda skinny to me. Like right now only 1 person could really walk down it, but bearly that. Although maybe back in older times they weren't so wide. It also depends on the sidewalk I guess, being infront of a skyscraper in NY, they are like what, 20ft wide? But that's because of so many people using it.

Keep it up!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice progress! I really like the latest one :) it seems very evenly lit though. Maybe something like this? (might work as an inspiration)

DarkStreet1.jpeg

work_4466978_1_flat%252C550x550%252C075%252Cf_dark-street-montpellier-france-2009.jpg