Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CryArtTest - ConorW

Hey everyone, I've been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post! I received an art test from Crytek, and in the requirements document it said I could post my WIP to this forum for critique. I would LOVE to hear what you guys think about it so far.

The basic layout was designed by Crytek and given in an .obj file. What all the assets inside of the layout are is my decision.

This is after a few day's of work.

3-7-11_4web.jpg

3-7-11_CU_4web1.jpg

Replies

• ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I have had to meet the requirements of some other projects, and temporarily stopped working on this since the 9th, and will be able to start again after the 25th. There is a more updated version, but I want to post a serious update when I can start again.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey ConorW, welcome and all that :)

I love the statue area in the centre of the diorama, but I'm less convinced by the cab of the truck, is it from a concept? If not a little more reference in that area couldn't hurt.

digging the chopper btw, whats the origin of the reznor song on the video?
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was the reference for the cab, I'll happily go over any critiques you have on it.

1990%20Kenworth%20T800%204000gal.%20water%20tank%20(P9979).%20Direct%20front%20view.jpg

And thanks on the chopper comment :D the song is "Home" I'm pretty sure it's on "With Teeth" Amazing song.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Kenworth Water Tanker

It's hard to say for certain without matching views, but it looks like you could drag it out a bit (a bit narrow width wise atm), as well as the tires look, though only blocked in, are running a little wide up front, though that may only be because of the squished horizontal-ness of the tractor.

Edit: Yeah, after comparing ref to your shots posted. the whole thing is a bit too narrow. The tank itself should be more short curve oval from a front/back view.
    You're fender flares/wells seem to be the right width though.
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I see what you're talking about,

This was the reference for the tank bit, I took the cab from another water tanker because I thought the tank on this tanker looked really cool, but there wasn't much reference of the cab.

http://burchtank.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/DCP_3326.1594120.JPG

So I did a little mixing and matching.

I can see how it's a little too narrow, and the tires are too thick. I'll just scale out the components in between the wheel wells to give it some width. Thanks for the critique!
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I'm finally able to start working on this again. I want to finish and submit it as soon as possible.

This is the updated cab:

3-29-11_CU_4web.jpg

and now I'm trying to make a modular building... something I've never done before.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction? Here's what I got so far:

3-29-11_building_4web.jpg

the geo on the left are different modular designs, I keep making new ones I don't like. Suggestions?
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a good start, how long are they giving you for the art test if you don't mind me asking?
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no time limit... but I know Crysis 2 just came out (I know because I want so badly to play it haha) and that means the sooner I'm finished the better chance I have
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    What's an art test? Did you made the street area? looks good ....
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An art test is a way for them to see how well I stand up to specific concept art or criteria. And yes, I made the street area :D
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your truck looks way off buddy, the head light area is dragged down too far, you seem to have forgotten the bumper. When I go to model a vehicle first thing I do is try to find the blueprints on a site like the-blueprints.com, and then set it up in viewport and trace initially. You can do that at least with your front view picture in orthographic viewport. And I don't really understand is it a highpoly or a low poly model? if its a low poly why is it turbosmoothed? if its high then you need all the small details, in the wheels and all the lights and mirrors.
    For modularity here is a useful tutorial
    http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/modular_sets/modular_sets.html

Also if u can spare 10$ 3d motive has an awesome video tutorial about modular workflow. Good luck man.
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your critique! I'm going to keep working on the building for now, and I'll come back to the cab of the truck, with your advice in mind. It's a high poly model, but it's clearly unfinished.

Awesome links as well, thanks again :D
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update on the building, just started texturing, and messing around with the Marmoset toolbag for the first time.

4-7-11_Building_WIP.jpg

I haven't forgotten about the truck cab, I started remodeling it, but nothing substantial to post yet.

I really wish I could spend more time on this and get it done faster, right now I'm spending 100% of my free time on it.
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to put in a few good hours this weekend and almost finish the building.

Still need to add a roughness map or 2, and finalize the floors and raingutter mats.

4-13-11_Building_WIP.jpg

4-13-11_Building_WIP_CU.jpg

As always crits welcome and encouraged :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Doesn't look convincing enough, try creating a tilable rubble texture to place under all the debris. :)
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay awesome idea! Do you mean like a mound of debri like what's in the top floor? Or like decals of rocks and what not underneath the bigger pieces?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This building seems really under-budget polygon use. You really need to take a closer look at the Crysis 2 levels. This currently looks more like PS2 budget. Collect reference of what each thing in this scene should look like, and treat them with the attention they deserve.
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    My first advice would be to check some reference pictures of broken buildings.

Right now it just feel like polygons with texture on it.
    Walls don't break in straight line. Glasses don't shatter in the same way that the window frame would do.
    Is this broken pillar made of elastic brick?

Short version, just look at loads of references pictures and ask yourself what's in the picture that is missing on your images.
    Now from a technical point of view, your geometrty needs some "bevel" information on the corner to make the light "flows" on the shape of your object. Everything look boxy at the moment.

And lastly, I think you should get your stuff into a level editor rather than into the marmoset toolbag (ideally CE2, as it's for crytek).
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this community! You guys are so helpful.

@cholden: Right now I'm around 2800 polys for the building, the budget is 20,000 for the whole scene, so I guess I have some room to detail

@EzMeow
    I'll do another pass of detailing, and try and get closer to my references. As well as add bevels to my geo, I was trying to keep it nice and lowpoly, but it's not capturing enough detail. Thanks for your advice. How do I get a hold of CE2?
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Put it in an eingine like UDK.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    A crytek art test done in UDK sounds a wee bit funny to me XD. Would definetly make the push for a cryengine submission, extra bonus points and all.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    A crytek art test done in UDK sounds a wee bit funny to me XD. Would definetly make the push for a cryengine submission, extra bonus points and all.

Meh, they will be more impressed no matter what engine you use.
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so UDK it is. I've never used it before though, so it will take a few tutorials to get going in it, but I'm a fast learner.

I'm probably going to approach the building in a new way after the last few critiques. I will just keep hammering out stills until you are satisfied!

SOOooo Round 2, ready go.
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K I just wanted to post up what I got through this weekend.

I modeled out a proxy for the new building, it has no destruction to it or anything, but just for size and scale. Everything is built modularly from one 512 texture.

4-18-11_building_WIP.jpg

Also, I dropped it into UDK (first time using it, having fun so far). The material is just the diffuse texture. I've been watching the UDK tutorials that epic put out, but I know this the forum of the masters, so if anyone has any tips or tricks I'm all ears!

4-18-11_building_WIP_UDK.jpg
  • cgmentor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is very good effert
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so I dropped a few pictures on top of a marmoset render just to show the direction I wanna head in with this. I'm not a concept artist, but I think you get the gist

4-19-11_building_paintover.jpg

And please, don't hold back! Any techniques you might know to achieve this type of look, even if you think you're stating something obvious, just go for it! Can't wait to hear your guys' thoughts!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This new building is a great improvement! If anything, your willingness to use feedback in totally redoing the building while jumping right into udk is worth something. This conceptual update looks like a good direction. Keep on truckin'!

Speaking of truckin', I'm sure this can give you some inspiration, http://www.mountainwood.net/ you had to have seen it by now.
  • ConorW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cgmentor: thanks :)

@cholden: Thanks for your post cholden, I'm glad you like the new direction!
    And as for the link, amazing! And you'd think I would have seen it already, but nope. Total fail.
    But really super inspiring, and awesome models.

I'll keep working :)