Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AANG (Avatar) Character Model

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Fink polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys I am an aspiring character artist. I just wanted to post some of my WIP on my take on Aang. I wanted him to have realistic anatomy so let me know if you guys see anything that looks weird or could change. my cloth sculpting skills are still average so tear into it. :P

aang.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• LateWhiteRabbit
    The face needs a lot of work. The lips are too thin, the eyes don't look recessed enough (though it is hard to tell from this angle), ears need to come out and face forward more for a better likeness, jaw is too sharp, you are missing some folds and tissue around the eyes, and the ears are too thin from behind.

There is also something wonky happening with the back of the thumbs, and the palms appear too thick.

The feet look like they are a little short as well.

Trapezoid muscles are too big for a ten year old (11?) boy. Watch the muscle definition over-all. Young boys are wiry with visible muscles, but those muscles are all small. Also for Aang's age, he should be seven heads high (ideal proportion wise). The five and half heads you have now are closer to a what a 6-7 year old would be. See Andrew Loomis's guide to proportions of different age groups here.

As far as the cloth, I think the folds need to be sharper and deeper on the part crossing the chest and shoulder, and the folds don't look like they are collapsing properly on the front of the knees.

Looking forward to seeing where this character goes. I am a huge fan of the show. Good luck!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    The head needs some work, right now you have a team fortress heavy head going on.

Looks like you're going in a good direction though
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the tips. I'm definitely struggling with the face a bit, what do you think would be good reference for making a realistic AANG face, but still keeping the likeness?

Every time I add more detail to the face he gets older, haha.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybehaps grab reference from the M. Night Sham movie? Also, his legs look rather tubular, I would bring out the cloth a bit around where it meets his boot.

Lookin' to see more progress on your model, Looking pretty good so far.
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    I hate that movie.... I will NOT reference it. haha
  • uneditablepoly
    Good, haha. I was about to yell at you for going to reference it. I'd say look at the action figure but that doesn't do Aang much justice, either. You'll probably have to just look at a bunch of scenes from Avatar and figure out how his face would look. Look at side views and front views and times when he's being very expressive and it should all come together as best it can.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    The overall shape of the head could be improved, try looking at images of the face planes to get the correct kind of forms.

planes.jpg
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for the help, I made a few proportion changes to his head/face as well as his torso... for speeds sake i have to get it done by this weekend so i'm gonna continue on... I have already gone and retopped it today for the low poly using NEX. 6400 TRIS. I haven't gone back and optimized it yet. I'm going to do that before i unwrap it of course :P

aangwiresaang2perspuser.jpg

closeq.jpg

zbrushdocumentv.jpg

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Fink wrote: »
    I hate that movie.... I will NOT reference it. haha
    Get over it. Really. The movie was a disappointment but why should that matter? It's a live-action Aang, and your model is begging for reference.

Right now the face is still bringing the model down - a lot. I understand the need for speed, but it really would have helped to use some reference. The face is lacking in structure and really isn't reflecting the character well to me.

I think you did a fairly nice job on the folds and the clothing.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    you still need to look at some reference ..your face still lacks alot of feature you would see..If you arent following the reference from the Movie, could you show us which face reference your following?
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    I was looking at these three images when i was sculpting, but i wanted him to look more mature.

aangavatarrender.png

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Right now the model looks neither like a cartoony version or a live-action version of the character.

Even if you're aiming for the cartoony style I'd still take a look at some sort of human reference as well. 2d can cheat in more ways than 3d can sometimes so you don't want that to be your only reference.

Also - your proportions are way off. Right now he isn't looking very youthful - the head needs to be rounder. The face should take up more of the head. The eyes need to be further apart. The ears need to stick out more. Also he's looking a bit flat-faced, look at the picture Sebeuroc posted and really emphasize the planes of the face.

The area around the eyes is making him look too old and isn't really selling the cartoony look either. I'd definitely make things a bit more planar and angular.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Shiniku wrote: »
    snip
    This.

Shiniku said almost everything I was going to.

Also avoid emphasizing the nasal-labial fold. This ages a character as well. Notice that it isn't drawn on Aang's face in any of those reference images you are referring to.

You need real reference - be it the live action Aang from the (Razzie) award-winning film, or some other young boy of the same age and ethnicity you are shooting for.