Home Technical Talk

rednering elements to alpha

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
when rendering to texture, I am using multiple objects baked on to a low poly mesh and would like have an alpha for each element without separating the high res mesh. ie a high res torso might have 12 different elements , but they are all attached.
I am renderig out a diffuse, so can use the magic wand to select the different colours in pshop, but would like the cleaner alphas rendered out also.
is there an easy way to do this or am I missing the point and approaching it wrong?

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    problem is luke if you select each colour with the magic wand you get horrible ragged edges. is there a better way to select your colours and get clean edges like the alpha channel does?
    select by colour range still gives me slightly weird edges
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about color select? I think it would suffer from some of the same problems as the wand... humm.

OR what about output it with alpha, hold shift and click the alpha channel to get better selection? Remember you can toss a bunch of alpha channels in the channels menu and use that method to house various selections. The trick is knowing the file format you save/export to and how it will handle all the extra alpha channels. I think most formats ignore all but the first one?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the thing is Mark I will then have to separate all my high poly objects, which is doable , but a bit inconvenient as some of my meshes have a lot of subobjects
    BTW I recently discovered 'paste in place' in photoshop. what a godsend:)

Mark did you mean copy the diffuse in to the alpha channel, then shift select to gte a clean slection. perhaps I misunderstood what you were getting at

edit
    refine edges really helps. I think I can just about manage to get what I am after using magic wand+refine edges
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToTex has a render material ID feature, I haven't used it so I'm not sure what it gives you, but if its able to render out a single material ID or send each ID to a separate file, without much fuss it might be worth downloading.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/totex-render-to-texture

Also, it requires some work and it might already have been scripted, but if you separate out each material ID to its own UV channel you can select each UV channel and render out just that? It's too bad RTT doesn't have a way to selectively render out material ID's... or if it does I haven't ever found it.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Ruz wrote: »
    BTW I recently discovered 'paste in place' in photoshop. what a godsend:)

lol me too ruz ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't know about paste in place, I'll have to look that up.

I would hold down ctrl+alt and drag one layer from a file into another and it will land in the correct position in the new file, provided you don't have anything selected which I think might do the same thing?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yup its the same thing Mark. I used to do that in pshop 7, but it didn't always work
    ha rollin, I could have kicked myself
    anyway I will try 'totex' - cheers for the link

edit - yeah that script is fantastic, did just what i wanted and knocks out nice AO maps too