Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Microwave (Beat)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
Yeah kinda boring, but I am doing this for a game, and I just want to see what you guys think. Thanks for viewing! :)

Microwave_Portfolio.jpg

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Does it look beat up enough? Anyone?
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    It looks like a microwave and sure its good enough to go in a game, but it doesent look very interesting as a piece of art.

If you want this for a portfolio then you probably want to bake from a high poly, but as a basic game prop its alright, just dont expect too many replies for what is esentially a box with some photographs on it......

Not trying to be harsh, what youve made is perfectly good enough for a game as a prop, its just not that exciting from an art point of view :D

I think you could do a lot better with the specs you have, but if youve got to get a lot of props done in a short space of time, quality isnt always the highest priority......
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    oh and, perhaps add some normal info where the holes are......
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    Some dirty specular on the glass would do nice!
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    if its going to be part of a rubble pile you should get rid of the numbers, because they need electricity to show, dont they?
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    154 tris seems an awful lot for what is essentially a box. Most of the modeled in detail doesn't break silhouette in any real noticeable fashion, and you could save yourself tris by doing a high poly bake. You could try image-based normals for it, but I don't know how far that would get you. Beyond that, your glass is pixellated and gross, and the grunge doesn't really make sense. I suppose if it had been sitting out in the weather, but I'm seeing pristine rivets on top of rusted out sheet metal, and the number pad which is plastic should be yellowed and faded from time and exposure. The bottom of the microwave also would be unpainted, since paint = money, and I don't know a whole lot of folks who use their microwaves upside down.

I know that this is just a simple asset, but at 512 pixels (and for a game, I'd shoot for a 256 on a microwave), I shouldn't be seeing pixellation at this distance. Run an unsharp mask on it, clean it up. Play around with your UV pack, for a small prop asset the sides should be stacked UVs and you could scale down the bottom quite a bit, unless of course the bottom of the microwave is the focal point of the model.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    you could have get the same results with less polygons and a tight uv.