Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bathroom scene

Hi all,

I'm nearing completion of my latest scene, I'm about to start my polish pass. I was hoping to get a few crits before I start, to make sure I head in the right direction.

The scene:
WIP5mar.jpg

Details:
- Modeled in maya. Low poly, game ready.
- Textures in photoshop
- Scene assembled and lit in the UDK (my first time)

Thanks!

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    This looks great already, a few minor things, i see what looks like some hard edges on the bottom of the toilet paper dispenser, either go and soften up those edges then re-export or add a few more tri's in there, I doubt it will hurt as your scene looks very low currently.

Why is the mirror green? Is it a reflection of the wall or have you just not get a material setup yet? You might want to check out scenecapture actor's in UDK to create reflections for mirrors, sorry i don't have a link ready for ya.

The shadow of the girl with the knife is a really great addition, really gives it nice atmosphere.

I'm just being nitpicky because overall this scene looks really great so i'm grasping for straws - the TP on the floor looks too much like a plain cylinder, if it falls on the floor it will have a slight dent in the cardboard tube and overall will be more wrinkled and unwraveled, this is like perfectly coming off of the roll as if it were hanging up. The handles on the cabinets look too small, I know the cabinets themselves are small but that is sometimes the case in bathrooms but still the handles need to be large enough for your hand to fit under, this is about the size of the flush handle on the toilett- too teeny.

That's really about it, like I said already the scene looks great to me, good lighting and atmosphere, well done!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    If things were a little more simplified this would go in L4D easy
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i think the normals on the tile floor could be pushed a bit more. Also, there is something going on with your smoothing groups/normals on the rim of the toilet bowl. I think you just need to select those faces and soften normals. I also think you could work on the transitions for toilet and bath to the tile floor. Add some of that caulk around the bottom. You can probably get away with not doing it on the tub, but the toilet needs it.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    couple of little things in addition to what's been said above. the shampoo bottle in the shower is a little bright imo. the contrast to the dark corner is creating quite a focal point where really you want the eye to be drawn to the blood stains and the shadow.

also i think the blood stains look a little bit too forced at the moment - the hand print especially looks more like hand painting than an accidental blood stain. maybe smear them up a bit and lower the opacity? the splatter that covers the toilet and shower looks a little stuck on atm too. if the person was stabbed in the shower then the splatter would have more direction too it.

overall you could maybe do with a little bit more dirt - it does look like a pretty grubby bathroom but generally this is looking really good.
  • billredd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billredd polycounter lvl 13
    Looking cool...as far as crits, I see the door molding looks way big (thick/wide), and the vanity/sink is not very realistic compared to the rest of the scene, the proportions of it are not quite right, and that type of sink is more of a kitchen sink then a bathroom clam shell style sink, proly could also use a light switch by the bloody hand prints, de-saturate the shampoo bottle a bit to dull it...
    damn good job, I like it... fill that tub up with bloody water and some more blood on the tub dripping down, and thats where the body is!
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah this is looking good, I could totally picture this in L4D easily. The shadow of the girl was a very nice touch....was that done in post or did you actually put a character in there in the scene? Good job though, definitely take into account some of the things earlier replies mentioned.
  • b1skit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, thank you so much for your crits!

- TP dispenser fixed (added more tri's)
    - New cube map baked, adjusted for more accurate mirror reflection
    - TP roll distorted more
    - Cabinet handles increased in size by 10%
    - Floor normals enhanced slightly
    - Toilet error fixed (the problem was actually a low res lightmap, and reflections that were slightly too strong... When combined, they created some artifacts).
    - Toilet texture tweaked, more occlusion between the gap at the base and the floor
    - Placed extra grunge decals
    - Tweaked the shampoo bottles, reducing their brightness and adjusting their spec
    - Tweaked blood placement, color and opacity
    - Tweaked the wood on the sink cabinets' normal, spec and texture sheets
    And probably some other stuff I missed.

The final result is here:
    WIP7mar_final_candidate.jpg

Thanks again for your input guys!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you missed was you thinned the door frame haha, the toilett paper isn't noticeable but it's not worth it to bother with really. The mirror reflection looks far better now, overall I think it's great!
  • b1skit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha good eye DDuckworth :)

Thanks again for the kind words! If you're curious, feel free to check out my portfolio at www.adambadke.com
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a look, your images take quite a while to load, and your resume being in pdf only and not an online version is a con for me. But overall you have some nice stuff, some clean renders of the restaurant and a pretty good variety of things :)