Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

InCognito update

At uni I am currently working on a comical spy game set in 1981. I wanted to show some progress on the games intro. This is an MI6 office for "Professor Steambolt" who is the creator of our main character, the spy robot known as Cognito.
Workshop1.jpg

I would show you our intro animatic but our university website is down as per usual...you pay these fees aye?

Workshop2.jpg
This first shots are the initial stages of laying out the room. It was going to be a very pokey broom cupboard sized room but we now have a new character known as "Toot" is a small robot made out of a train whistle on a segway and his soul purpose is to serve Steambolt with tea so we needed lots of room for him to zoom about. note the tea stains on the floor.

Workshop3.jpg

Workshop4.jpg

PETUNDNOD.jpg

SolderingStuffDiffuse.jpg

Many of the texture sizes have to be kept small, mainly 512's because this room will not only be used in the intro but also serve as an interactive menu for the game. All the assets that you see in this max environment have been created in away that it can all be transported into UDK later on.

TV.jpg

Here is the latest shot of the desk where Steambolt will sit. He will be soldering in the game menu and reading a paper in the intro. He's meant to be the quintessential British eccentric who works in a mess and never cleans up his lunch. Because this is meant to be 1981 I have tried to put in as much date accuracy as I can for example the pepsi cans have the 1978 to 1982 design but with a 1981 special featuring the first shuttle launch graphic on the back. The time magazine featuring Thatcher "Britains fighting lady". The TV also has the old teletext service "oracle" which was replaced by normal teletext in 1991. I am thinking of putting some news papers in that feature things like the Royal wedding.

SteamBoltsOffice.jpg

Replies

• lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im not good at this but i would more concentrate on an atmospheric lightning before slapping photo textures on ur props
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lampekap wrote: »
    im not good at this but i would more concentrate on an atmospheric lightning before slapping photo textures on ur props

Why would textures stop with tweaking of the lights? We are trying a few styles at the moment with lighting but none of the team are excited about over doing the level of light in this room simple because Steambolt always works a solo night shift.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The room is looks very bland and depressing. The textures are really dull and everything blends together into a brown mess.

Improvements to the lighting setup may help.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can sure take a look at the lighting, perhaps more intensity on lower laying lights instead of a ceiling light that bleaches things out. However, what do you think an office of a professor would look like in 1981? Its not going to be like a plush minimalist modern lab scene.

A big part of the research for how tech offices looked in 1981 was from the end of the movie ET and everything there is the "brown mess".
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    hey i dont think it looks too bad. Break up the ceiling and floor and add some intersting lighting. Textures can be tweaked if it still looks dull then. Well thats what i would be doing if i have to finish this scene.
  • Phil101
  • Runner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Phill

Notice the contrast between darker and lighter areas in your reference image.

I would suggest start over, from “global”/upper lights to the lower ones. Check your Ambient Light settings depending on the renderer used you might have something going on there.

Here is a quick paint over. What is really noticeable to me is the ceiling area and the area under the desks.

Try to add some color to the ceiling either via light or texture.

Tweak your lights one at the time. No need to delete them just turn them off and set it up one by one.

steamboltsoffice2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude, It's looking a lot better and I think there is still room for improvement.
    You could maybe model fluorescent lights on the ceiling to help break up the repetition in the textre. At the moment it seems a bit too plain and it really stands out.

The height of the ceiling also looks fairly low. If you stood next to the pc, your head would almost touch the ceiling. I might be wrong, but use any primitive shape with a height of 1.80cm and check how well it fits in the room.

All the best, I will continue to check out your progress.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sketch81 wrote: »
    Hey dude, It's looking a lot better and I think there is still room for improvement.
    You could maybe model fluorescent lights on the ceiling to help break up the repetition in the textre. At the moment it seems a bit too plain and it really stands out.

The height of the ceiling also looks fairly low. If you stood next to the pc, your head would almost touch the ceiling. I might be wrong, but use any primitive shape with a height of 1.80cm and check how well it fits in the room.

All the best, I will continue to check out your progress.

Cheers, how about air vents on the ceiling tiles to break it up? does anyone know if air con was around much in 1981?

I checked the height against Cognito which is a robot the size of a UT3 character about 90 units, his head was in line with the bottom of the TV.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SteamBoltsOffice3.jpg

Ok I tried modelling some vents for the ceiling tiles and for this shot I have imported Cognito to display how the main character will fit in the room height wise.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The sloped parts of the ceiling and a few other elements of the layout are really accentuating how low it is. This isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're going for a really claustrophobic space.

I guess the question is what are you trying to convey with your room?
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is quite an unusual setting. This is a fictional version of the old MI6 HQ basement where our character Steambolt works night shift creating spy bots. Try to picture your an eccentric professor working for the intelligence services, they couldn't find you a classy office so they left you in the reject room where there's never enough room for all your stuff, especially since Steambolt is naturally messy.

Because he's an unusual character in an unusual setting we didn't want a conventional room especially since its a spy game.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is, it dosen't look like the "basement at MI6" it looks like the basement at an old folks retirement home. Even if it's 1981 MI6 would certainly have more advanced facilities at their disposal.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoodDreams wrote: »
    Thing is, it dosen't look like the "basement at MI6" it looks like the basement at an old folks retirement home. Even if it's 1981 MI6 would certainly have more advanced facilities at their disposal.

The research contradicts a lot of that plus it wouldn't match the characters its not James Bond. I think its inaccurate to compare it to an old folks retirement home because they are about comfort, big chairs and house hold furniture and don't have tech equipment everywhere. When you look at the decor of the 70's brown is the dominant colour, especially in Britain and since its 81 a lot of what's left over from the previous decade would still be around.

Take a look here the decor of the time is not pretty and that's what I am after, the more brown the better http://weburbanist.com/2009/05/05/its-terminal-a-dozen-scenes-of-early-office-computing/
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    wait, he's a robot but drinks tea? and pepsi, apparently?

Right now, all your assets look really flat. Does anything have spec maps? Your textures look very plain, as if you've spent no time on them and just found them online, except for the blueprint. Your composition is uninteresting, and you've evenly spaced all of your props. You should try to clump stuff together, add some variation. Most of your props are very small also. Add some larger stuff.
    Your vents on the ceiling don't look like vents, they look like lights.

Can you post some wires, textures, and UV layouts to some of your props? If we know how you've built things, it will help us in offering suggestions for improvement.

I wouldn't worry too much about lighting right now, but one thing that makes a difference is adding color to your lights. I suggest making the light around the little bottles a more yellowy/orange color, and the other background lights more of a blueish color. Subtle though. You also need light fixtures in your scene. The lights can't just come from nowhere.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers P442, I was told by a few in my group not to bother with caging tangents and just use normal filters because of the art style. As most of this scene is going to be imported into UDK later the engine guys will be adding cell shading to everything, personally I'm not a fan of cell shading, I can see why you would say theres flattness.

You mention a lot of the objects are small but this is only a very small part of the room, The way its going to work as an interactive menue is you are the robot who will be sitting in a swivle chair in the middle of the desks, you look to these messy desks for setting, look to the wall with the briefing door to start the game, the room enterance to exit and the the window is just void but would have been used for multiplayer if this was a full game.

Just to make it clear the robot "Cognito" doesn't drink tea lol, just Professor Steambolt.