Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment Subway Finished

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sythen polycounter lvl 10
So guys, after three weeks of modeling and texturing I can safely say that my UDK Environment of the Subway Platform is finished. As this is my first Environment and creation with the UDK I've spent a lot of time learning each feature and using each element I add to the scene as a learning curve for each feature of UDK.

Total Development time: 3 weeks.

PolycountForum-Final.jpg

Thank you all for you're amazing help, inspiration and critique you have given me during this development in my work-in-progress thread. I hope to be a member of these forums that helps and inspires as much as you have done to me.

Well it's been fun, off to start another environment.
- Sythen.

Replies

• sparrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sparrow polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking nice, i would watch out for the repeating objects though. i dont know if 150 is the platform but there is a lot of them showing, also the teddy is looking a bit square as welll, also you could ad a bit more litter not too much though coz it would be reazabul clean but there are normal some paper cups and things under the chair where it has been left and pushed aside, over all though its looking very nice, keep it up.
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for you're c%c's.
    As for now the level design is officially 'finished' per-say. But I can see myself adding these in the future and breaking the repetition. =]

Thanks again!
  • TheBat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBat polycounter lvl 10
    Looks pretty cool for a first one! Good atmosphere and some cool props.
    sparrow wrote: »
    i would watch out for the repeating objects though.

I agree on the repetition, though it doesn't bother me as much as the teddy. Clearly much more energy and time has been spent on the level and the other props (like the telephones).

The teddy doesn't look good enough to have such a full frontal position if you ask me (more or less the same for the newspaper, killing more than adding to it).

If you want to do some litter etc. do a decent extra pass over your level to litter your design instead of just throwing down a newspaper and a bear.

Overall it looks great though! Keep it up!
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In relation to the teddy bear, I will be working on him soon, right now he's a bit of a placeholder and could do with a lot more work.

The newspaper behind him is actually a soft-body and there are many around that fly when the train goes by, This one just caught the pillar.

I'll work on it a bit more and finish up some of the elements and post more screens,

Thank you guys,
    Sythen.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    looking good so far - i'd be careful about calling it "finished" though - good artwork never really is and i'm sure if you put this up as your desktop background and looked at it every day for the next two weeks there'd be loads of changes you'd want to make!

apart from the teddy, newspaper and general lack of rubbish i'd say you really need to dirty things up a bit more too. currently all your emmisive lights are very clean and of a similar level of brightness and colour. a bit of variation here could really make the focal points stand out. same goes with the no smoking sign - it looks straight out the factory and onto the wall, after being laminated 50 times to protect it!

lastly i'd say things look a little bit too simple and repetitive. i realise you've built the environment out of modular pieces but maybe try and think about using them in different ways. something that occurred to me might be to rotate the round lights on the columns every other column by 90 degrees so they face the row of columns rather than the wall and the track, if that makes sense. this would break up the repetitiveness of the model and also create more interesting lighting. maybe you could even setup the material so the vertex colour controlled the brightness of the light to create some variation.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html

is a really useful tutorial for varying dirt based on world position in udk and really got me thinking about creating automated variation and could really help with your "105" column.

keep up the good work
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wowzers that's actually amazing if not a little creepy. I've already set these as my desktop background and it's been only 5 hours and I can already see some problems. As for griming up the place I most definitely need to start working on that. The stationary detail texture tutorial will definitely help!! I didn't even think you could do that with the Material Editor.

Clearly there's a lot more for me to learn, going to do a paint over and just see what details I can add to break up the repetition.
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    So the main thing that bothers me about this environment is that it is waaaaaay too clean. I have NEVER been into a subway that is this clean. Having said that, just because I was curious I Googled subway station, and literally there is not a single picture of a subway that has seen any major wear and tear. Granted, you might be going for a different look, but honestly here is what I think will really set this environment apart...

MAKE IT DIRTY. Grime this place up. Subways are disgusting. Especially with digital work, you really need to tell a story here. If the environment is really straightforward and doesn't have any elements to break up the scene then the eye is immediately drawn into the repetitive aspects of the scene, which will hurt the composition and make the viewer scroll on past because simply it is boring.

If you have ever been in a subway in Europe, or even a major city here in the states you can tell from the second you enter them that they are just gross. Try to make the viewer FEEL what it is like in the air. For instance, here are some elements that pop into my head when I hear the word subway. Dirty grimey floors, newspapers and cigarette butts, exhaust from the streets above, sharp, but not perfect lighing, broken tiles, a homeless guy, cardboard boxes, graffiti, and a bunch of other elements that really just show that this place has had some abuse. Subways are used by THOUSANDS of people every day, whereas your scene reminds me more of a hospital. Really make this a full on experience for when I open up the page! Make my eye want to look around and take a look at what all you have put in there to really give this some story elements.

Enough with the bashing, because that is not my aim with this post. I think that you have a great base here. You would be selling yourself short to call this environment quits however. Give this place some feeling! I literally feel like when I look at it, I can get the whole experience is maybe two seconds. Make my eyes float around and check out all the love you have put in! Sorry this is getting lengthy, but I would really like to see you push this farther! Keep us updated
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Just thought of this as well, if you really want to make it awesome. Ryan has some excellent stuff in here about entropy levels and vertex painting inside UDK. Maybe introducing something like that would be a good jumping off point. Cheers

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76295&highlight=pit
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently been learning Ryan's methods actually, started working on a grime vertex shader since last night and literally just learning the basics. But I've got it to paint in between a clear wall and floor, and a dirty wall and floor.

MeshPaint.jpg

Things are looking good! =]
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolycountForum-VertexShader.jpg

Been working some more on this Vertex Shader, have a lot more decals to play with too. Here's an example of them in use.

Both the floor and the walls are paint able and go between a clean and heavily dirtied wall. The opacity of the brush in Mesh Paint allows for different variances of dirt.

Let me know what you think.
    - Sythen.