Home Technical Talk

¨FBX export problems!

Hi guys!

I've been working on a character for my game for a couple of days now, and all of a sudden it just won't work in Unity... When ever I export it as an .FBX it will sometimes do okay, but other times it will sorta curl up and wrap into itself (see the picture)..

http://img593.imageshack.us/i/weirdfold.png/

The weird thing is I can sometimes get it to behave by opening a new scene in maya and importing the old scene into it before exporting.. which made me think it could maybe be a history problem, but it doesn't seem to change anything when I delete the history!...

So after working for two straight days on trying to figure out what is wrong or just how to fix it, I am at a complete loss...

Does anyone know what the problem could be or how I could possibly solve this?!..

any help would be much appriciated..

thank you,
Alex!

Replies

• o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the model is animated make sure you 'go to bind pose' on the first frame before exporting (keep auto key off).
    Can't really tell by your picture if you're having the same problem that I've experiencd with fbx, but the above helped me out.
  • asjo07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds interesting.. I will give that a try...

When you say keep auto key off.. do you mean just turn it off before export or don't use it at all ?..
  • asjo07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wuaw.. it seems to work.. !!

Do you know what is happening.. I mean why is it so important to have the bind pose in the first frame?..

anyway
    Thank you so much!..

edit:
    wait... no.. nope.. didn't work after all.. worked on one file.. not the other though.. !..
  • o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope it works out for you.
    Keep the autokey off when you go to bindpose otherwise you'll get a key set for that pose (which you don't want I guess). Make sure you have only one bind pose and that the history is deleted before skinning.

It's important to have clean data baked onto your joints. The rotations from your animations are based on the original values the joints have when you bind the mesh (which should be 0 preferably). If you export in a different pose then those values will be treated as the "original".
    I hope I'm making sense..

I'm not an expert so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • asjo07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I figured if out... finally..

The problem seemed to occur in the Maya, FBX and Unity relation.. if the metric settings in Maya was set to Meters, it would give the above result. However, if set to CM it would give a nice beautiful result... simple as that.. :)

anyway.. thx for the help!.. :D
  • o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, good thing you figured it out :)