Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SA80 L85A2 Assault Rifle.

I think I am done with the hi-poly and will let it sit a day, see if you have any input? Thanks to GCMP who's crit made me push harder with this (am separating my WIPS into projects, i need to finish this one next).

Hi-poly renders...

EDIT: Latest UPDATEs... redone scope and mag and barrel. More updates at end.

ammo.jpg

Intial WIP's...

SA80FPV.jpg
SA80V9.jpg
SA80v7.jpg
SA80v16.jpg

References: This is a .pdf

Quick refs:
148_gallery_02_502x335-1.jpg
800px-SA-80_rifle_stripped_1996.jpg

EDIT: I used Racer's link below for more refs, loads more! What a legend he is for that. :thumbup:

Cheers.

Replies

• mallen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mallen polycounter lvl 7
    really cool and clean high poly. looking forward to see low poly textured model
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great, nice work. Those edges are nice and soft, should come out great if you bake it.

It's not that big of a deal, but the magazine looks like it curves a little much for a stanag magazine. :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scope doesn't seem to be round, but slightly mis-shapen?
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Agreed, the scope seems miss-shapen, and not that reminiscent of a susat when looking down it, oh and the cheekpiece isnt raised off the metal like it is in your model. Other than that nice modelling, look forward to seeing it textured!!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Seems OK. You've missed a few shapes but I'll allow them since most people here do much worse when modeling from reference.

The trademarks on the front say G&G, which is an airsoft manufacturer (and a good one might I add.) The real one should say something like this following image. Sorry for the awful quality picture, I can't find a better one right now, and you can make out most of it anyway.

00034.jpg

The butt plate on the rear has some messy geometry from what it looks, but it might just be the render. Seems like there's some odd pinching or something where the ribs meet the main plate shape.

The mag seems deformed. The bend looks kinda janky and the indents in the center seem sized incorrectly, as well as being so soft that the shapes don't read anymore.

Always use more reference. Have a look at these reference photos: http://www.pixagogo.com/0714754106
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mallen and drew.. ja, i botched the mag. Hope i fixed it now.

Well spotted Earthquake and Drav, tbh that was bad planning and then bad editing, tired eyes. I rebuilt that scope again with double geometry and some nice orthos.

@ Racer! :thumbup: Cheers for your no BS assessment, twas very useful to me. I am striving to not be settling for OK these days, so I worked on the areas you talked about.

Before:
    SA80v7.jpg
    After:
    sa7.jpg
    sa80susat.jpg

sa9.jpg
    sa3.jpg
    sa8.jpg
    sa6.jpg
    sa1.jpg
    ammo.jpg

Thanks again chaps.
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    The scope doesn't seem to be round, but slightly mis-shapen?

I'v never seen a real SA80 without a mis-shapen scope. They have pretty fragile rubber eye-guards. Its the king of botch jobbed rifles.
  • Colditz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some wires of the mesh without turbosmooth would be nice.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Phil.. I think Eathquake was meaning the actual model was borked ...it was a bad mesh, mis-aligned geometry... i re-done it and will take what you said in account at textures, where i get to ruff it up anyways.

Is that a soft bit of plastic then, the eye piece, could chip at it in zbrush perhaps... i might do the cheek plate also.

@ Colditz: Sure. Isoline display screen grabs is all got time for now until i get a nice wires render...

LEFT = first go... too little geo, no orthos, eyeballing... RIGHT = second go double geo, and orthos.

WILLMAC-wires2.jpg
    WILLMAC-wires.jpg
    WILLMAC-wires1.jpg