Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flying platform

mallen
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
mallen polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone. I've been working on this project of mine on the side and thought it'd be a good idea to post it here for some feedback.
So what I have here, or what I'm trying to do at least is to create a floating construction platform, or a materials transport platform, basically its not a killing machine. The high poly is still WIP obviously, currently working on the robotic arms on the rear side of the vehicle. Unfortunately i'm not working from a concept, I normally do, so right not its just me throwing in this and that and seeing what works.
So yeah critique away please, much appreciated :)

floating_platform01.jpgfloating_platform02.jpgfloating_platform04.jpgfloating_platform03.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great sub details good renders too. I love the last 3 shots. The one thing that bugs me floating piece on the thrusters makes it look like the base shape is wonky, but just in that top shot, it looks fine in all the others. Any plans to put a dangling hook on the end of that winch?
  • mallen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mallen polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the compliment. about the winch, I might put a hook, but what I really want to do is place a sort of hook launcher right in front of the winch where that flat platform is, much like mounted harpoon gun if that makes sense? you know, the contraption that is used by whalers. The idea is I guess is it's useful to latch onto things, pull things down? etc.
    I have no idea how it would work, not even sure if its physically possible, I think harpoon guns would normally have "loose" rope in a coil when they launch the spear, right? I dunno, thoughts? suggestions?

Also the floating part in the rear will change a bit, at first I had some sort of a mechanical hands in mind, but I decided to change it to a crane with a single mechanical hand at the end. i'll post it when i have the base mesh constructed.

thanks again for the comments
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I see that your platform has hydraulic pistons to actuate the wheelbase. The only problem is those pistons won't do anything but push the the whole thing until it busts.

Look at this:

Geo_img052.jpg

The only reasonable way you could maintain that setup you have is to make it a "shaft drive" wherein a shaft turns a gear at the other end:

785788.jpg

So if you want to keep the current shape, make it look less hydraulic.
  • mallen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mallen polycounter lvl 7
    wow, thanks for pointing that out greevar. yeah I totally did not think about that. I might do some re-arranging since I do want to keep the hydraulics, maybe.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    placement of the thrusters really doesn't seem stable, and it doesn't look like there's any way to maneuver it. look into thrust vectoring.
  • mallen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mallen polycounter lvl 7
    ah yes, about maneuvering. obviously rocketry or physics isn't my expertise so forgive me if this idea seems a bit absurd. but I was thinking that those small pockets on the sides of the rockets would open and close according to the actions of the operator behind the controls. The idea I had in mind was that this thing would primarily be going up and down while maneuvering itself around the scaffolding of construction sites, or something like that. but I guess I'll slap a rocket somewhere on there that would be used for longer distance traveling.