Home Technical Talk

References

I'm making a portfolio and am thinking about modeling something from the warhammer online reference images. Is it ok to make something in this way or is it
let say not profesional (can they say that i am valiating their copyrights)? I would send a link back to the reference images once uploaded to my portfolio.

Replies

• thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    *checks his "sheets" folder*

hopefully its ok to use other peoples modelsheets to do your stuff ;)
    but then again, I'm an animator, not a modeller.. so I dont really have to credit myself as being able to do any of that eh ;) as long as I'm braindead enough to clean some mocap..

if you find some nice warhammer sheets, go for it! :)
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a lot of people do it, and I don't think anyone will mind but....

You should atleast credit the original artist and if at all possible contact them and ask for permission.
  • Jernej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is what i wanted to hear =D I will link the work back to the artist, they deserve it :D. If you look it from a profitable point of view they can get a job if someone looks at my portfolio and notices the link back to him. So i think it's a win, win situation.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    we had a similar thread not too long ago
    i think the answer to your question was

"ask the artist if its ok, if he doent answer or denies, dont do it"
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    If its an artists' personal work I think its important to get permission, but if its work done for a company - taking your example - concept from the warhammer online website, then it belongs to that company (in the majority of cases) and you would have to ask them. But in that situation I think derivative works would fall under the "Fan Art" category and be OK.