Home Technical Talk

Autodesks 2012

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I thought the new UV stuff i max looked real nice. Why don't we get that i Maya :( Seams like they are a few new or updated modeling tools to.

Any how, i'm looking forward for it
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    I thought the new UV stuff i max looked real nice. Why don't we get that i Maya :(Seams like they are a few new or updated modeling tools to.

Any how, i'm looking forward for it

Good pun :D I dunno, I think the UV system and UI is fine in Maya. Just give us some juicy modeling tools I say :)
  • Spicypixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spicypixel polycounter lvl 6
    Having seen the game engine integration I came away chuffed there is still some innovation left in autodesk :) Wonder how their purchase of Scaleform will pipe into other programs. Hope it wasn't just a purchase for the sake of owning them.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    Good pun :D I dunno, I think the UV system and UI is fine in Maya. Just give us some juicy modeling tools I say :)

I'm afraid that that was just a spelling miss :P But i thought that the pin thingy in max looked really cool!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't cover Pinning in the write up, I wanted to keep it positive and for me there are more things wrong with it than what are helpful. Because they didn't update some of the core functionality of unwrap (convert selection between modes), it is not as useful, fast or as flexible as it could be. It also seems like if they're going to change/tweak any features before release, pinning might be it.

I'll explain:
    You can only pin/unpin in vert mode, it would be super helpful to be able to pin in edge or element mode. Even if it only pinned verts it's easier to select a edge click loop and pin that instead of selecting all the verts.

It's not a big deal because you can still transfer your selection from one mode to another as in, transfer edge selection to vert and then pin it to stick an edge. But transfer selection is still handled through the main menu > Select > Convert bla to bla. So if you're looking to transfer selection like you do in edit poly (Hold ctrl and click the mode button) then its takes a few extra clicks and the solving of a word puzzle to get it done.
    UnwrapConvertSelection.jpg
    This type of UI inconsistency has been the single most frustrating thing about unwrap for a very long time. The transfer method is annoying and awkward to use. To be only able to pin in vert mode this makes it that much harder to use. Also it doesn't seem to update the display (could be a beta bug) on the pinned verts until you click in the viewport. Click unpin, click unpin, click unpin I said UNPIN MOTHER F... oh you have to click the viewport to see the change... that's buggy.

However they do stay pinned regardless of the mode, and depending on how you want to use pinning that can be helpful or painful. They still could change the functionality between now and release, but I'm not sure they will. I expect some user rage over the pinning... at best I think we'll see comments like "thanks for the cool idea, now make it useful" but who knows maybe someone will find or invent a way to use it.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Text

Yeah, that sound pretty retarded. That's something i love with Maya, all menus (kinda) can be reached with a combo of Shift, Ctrl and Alt + RMB. They implemented it in Mudbox for some extent but i don't see why they shouldn't for max to.

So, stuff like convert selection and stuff is right there, a tenth of a second away.

And it's stuff like the "keep/freeze"-islands command and how they set a priority to it and stuff, that i thought looked really cool.

I'm just saying, why don'y we get that stuff? Feels like it's just a few lines of code :P Then it never is.