Home Technical Talk

Hard Surface Modeling Q

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
First, the question: Do you do much/any editing to Sub-D models above your Turbosmooth modifier, or do you try and keep as much as possible below it in the stack?

My main problem is that, in trying to hit a specific polycount without much/any baking, some parts end up having more detail than others when trying to achieve hard edges (modeling vehicles; currently, a helicopter). It's wreaking havoc on my polycount, and the easiest solution is to do edits above it in the stack, but then it makes it harder to make changes later on. I'm trying to find out if this is something people just deal with, or if they simply don't edit much/anything above their Turbosmooth layer.

Most of the mechanical bits I'm modeling low poly, but I've found that I really need to Sub-D the hull in order to get it to look right. If I sub-d the hull, however, the windows become hugely painful both in process and polycount. Curious if this is just what you deal with, or if people handle it differently?

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Unless i'm doing something with a trick workflow (things involving splines, path deforms, bends...) I will collapse the stack. I also generally try not to edit turbosmooth results. There are times when it makes sense but generally I would just build the original cage with more geometry so I don't need to.
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the only reason I'm using Turbosmooth in this case is to get it looking round enough in the right places. Very hard to get some geometry without. Although, if that's the case, once I have the geometry I guess there's no reason NOT to collapse the stack... I just hate doing it if I don't have to.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're trying to reach a certain polycount in your highres mesh?
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    You're trying to reach a certain polycount in your highres mesh?

No, it's still a runtime mesh, not exactly high poly. I've been doing two LOD's; 1k and 10k, so we're sort of calling them Low and Medium. But since we don't have a lot of time for a bake, I'm skipping a High Poly pass.
    If you're making a game ready model, my advice is to take TurboSmooth out of your workflow, and just learn to model the sort of curves you need using poly modeling tools.

I'm modeling a lot of aircraft lately (currently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook), and I was finding that without Turbosmooth I get a lot of chunky looking models at lower resolutions. So I started modeling with Turbosmooth on the stack, and using a large part of my poly budget for the hull, then adding other details on top without a turbosmooth. This works well, except for detail areas such as the windows, which is sort of where this question comes from.

Dustin - are you saying you'd just model this with Edit Poly and nothing else? How would you keep your corners round, just eyeball it all? Maybe I'm just lazy, but it always seemed like without Turbosmooth it looks like a very round Box, and not a truly aerodynamic shape.
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I suppose that's true (new toolset). I haven't used Graphite much at all, and I know some of the Loop tools in that do neat things.

Boeing CH47 Chinook:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a3/CH-47_2.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/RHIB-helicopter.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Pinnacle_manuever.jpg

It's not a very complex shap, but it's basically a box with compound curves on all corners. Anything with compound curves I usually Turbosmooth, just to get the shape down. Maybe Swiftloop or something else would be better, and put them just where I need them, nowhere else.