DiffuseMaps01.jpg

NormalMaps01.jpg

also any critiques will be welcome

Replies

• EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really nice, here's my two cents.

Your shadows are a bit too dark at the moment, mainly closest to the camera, virtually hiding it in shadow, so pumping up the light for it would be great so we can get a hint of the mesh under the shadowed area.

Your carpets look a little blurry and low rez.

Other then those observations It's a really nice scene, very colourful and atmospheric!
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    Looking really nice, here's my two cents.

Your shadows are a bit too dark at the moment, mainly closest to the camera, virtually hiding it in shadow, so pumping up the light for it would be great so we can get a hint of the mesh under the shadowed area.

Your carpets look a little blurry and low rez.

Other then those observations It's a really nice scene, very colourful and atmospheric!

totally agree with on both points, still working on the light to get it to be not so dark in that section. Also ill see what the floor looks with a 512 instead of a 256. also its not carpet its some kind of super reflective marble or something. I'll hopefully get these updates up soon enough.:poly142:
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    in real life there should be a whole much more bounced light illuminating the foreground it wouldn't get that dark..... agree with previous critz
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Looks nice. Main issues with the image is the bloom, the shadows and the glaring specs on the wall to the right. Right now it looks like you are trying to hide something.

Some fake subsurface scattering on the candles would be sweet... or at least make it so the lightest area is on the top.. right now it's darker on top which is very weird.

Very nice work on making it modular though.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Try making the bloom softer. You can find some info about it here http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Bloom.html
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok did some working on the bloom, candles and lighting.

ACVatican_Render02.jpg

is it just me or is it look like the shadows are getting washed out by the GI now.:thumbdown:

I will continue to work on the lighting among other things.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow it looks almost like it's a digital painting. Nice style here.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update report worked more on the shaders, lighting and bloom, and then it ended up looking just like the one before lol:poly127:
    ACVatican_Render02-1.jpg
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think these shadows are less dark than the previous ones.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloom is a bit too bright
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok update with bloom that shouldn't blind you when you look at it and also messed with the post processing a little bit, going to see if god lights might help the scene out:poly142:
    ACVatican_Render01-1.jpg
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking great. Not so much bloom and the colours are standing out nicely.

But I can't help but think what those candles are made of to make them burn so bright lol. Kinda looking like flares at the moment. Unless that's what you're going for :)
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful scene and I will continue to follow this thread. In regards to the candles, you could maybe turn them off and leave the sun light as the main source of light. It would then make the centre of the courtyard the focal point. Keep working your skills :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    For my money, the original lighting setup was a far more evocative and gave the scene a better sense of depth. Whether entirely realistic or not, the almost silhouetted stuff in the foreground worked really nicely.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    i've gotta agree with jackablade. also, that patterned tile in the foreground could use a lot more resolution. looking pretty nice sweet, though. :] i like the composition.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love your colors mang !! so vibrant specially your reds and greens. :)
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    There was somewhat better depth in your first pic, mainly because of the bloom that gave the corridor the depth. Ironicly, bloom was also the thing that made your eyes sore. If you can somehow use a depth filter without the extra bloom?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, sorry I didn't read through the whole thread, but I just see you posting lighting tweaks and stuff like that, but for me it feels like the main thing dragging the piece down is lack of consistent scale in the foreground.

revanover.jpg

I mean, a plant jar being 2 times thicker then a support column makes the column look puny undermining all the grandeur of you architecture. And what's with the fat ass candle? Why is it 3 times bigger then the others all of a sudden. Furthermore, I've never seen different size candles being used on the same candlestick. It's just impractical. And the candlestick itself could be smaller too.

#2 Come on, man. You're just selling yourself short here. I bet you can do more then detach, cap and call it done. This really makes it look amateurish and spoils the impression. Break it up a bit, make a unique texture with some cracks and little rubble around. Also don't be shy to add a bit more segments to cylinders to make them look round. It's a portfolio piece and you don't have to worry about optimization that much.

I also the second that the foreground floor thing could use more resolution. Also proper reflections like in the concept would benefit the piece.

If you're looking for things to add, some doves would def. liven up the scene.

You've got a solid piece going on, man. I really like your lighting so far. With a few tweaks you'll be golden.

Cheers.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks for all the advice guys, i will see what I can do to correct the scale problems, I put it in the new march udk so I will see what i can do with the lighting in their, also the floor has mass reflection but its not showing up very good for some reason, ill see why. And I think ill take that broken vase into zbrush and see if I can't make it better. Also doing the brawl challenge so updates might not come very quickly.:thumbup: